Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My husband call me a, he did it today. I told him under no

Customer Question
My husband call me a...
My husband call me a bitch, he did it today. I told him under no circumstances do you have the right to call a woman a bitch. He also tells me that I am miserable. Everytime he starts a fight.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No, I have not seen a doctor. I am taking diabetic medications and high blood pressure only
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: My A-1c are getting any better I eat emotionally
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: A long time ago he pushed me and hit me
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mental Health
7/6/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 4 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing to us. I am sorry to hear you had this altercation with your husband and absolutely agree that he does not have the right to talk to you like this. Such language is abusive, and it sounds like there was some f\physical abuse in the past. I am super proud of you for standing your ground and letting him know how this treatment makes you feel and that is is unacceptable. How can I best support you today?

-Leah

Should I tell him to get professional help or leave?
No cannot afford it

This is so tough. If this is a repeating pattern or you feel like your marriage is not in a good/happy place, then you may want to propose some couples counseling so you can work on these things as a team. Perhaps he would be willing to engage in help if you tackled it from the approach of bettering your marriage in general including improving your communication and lessening his anger and aggression. If you feel strongly these issues reflect on him alone and less on your marriage, then certainly, demand he get some help and explain to him how you are feeling with good examples of times when you felt his behavior was out of control or inappropriate. Hopefully, he will have enough insight and consideration for you and your marriage that he will take your concerns seriously and agree to some form of support, either by himself or with you as a couple.

And, I totally understand the dilemma about not being easily able to leave. This is one reason out of many that marriage can be worth fighting for, although under no circumstances do you deserve to experience ANY level of abuse. Hopefully he gets this!

-Leah

Hello, I just wanted to check in since I noticed this question is still open due to never being rated. Can I help further? I am definitely curious where things stand with you and if I can help you at all, just let me know! Thanks,

Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker