Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have had bipolar mania for years and have mostly manic for…

Customer Question
I have had bipolar...

I have had bipolar mania for years and have mostly manic for almost two years. Have recently severely manic with hallucinations and I had to be hospitalized recently. Have been taking 300mg of trazodone and 30 mg of remeron to help me sleep. My question is: Can these medications cause seratonin syndrome? If so, how long does it take for seratonin to decrease to a normal level? What do I need to know about stopping these meds? I have had most of the symptoms of serotonin syndrome and some symptoms not listed ex gagging. Please help. I can't remember how long it's been since I have had any more than 3 or 4 hours of broken sleep. I had been on Seroquel 800 mg @ bedtime. It was discontinued 7 wks ago without any antipsychotic @ the time. Was restarted on Seroquel, 50mg tid and [email protected] bedtime.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes. Was hospitalized last week for psychosis. I take a host of medications for fibromyalgia, high cholesterol. allergies, thyroid and anti GERD medications. My psych meds are lamictal, trazodone , remeron and now Seroquel again. Also I recently had to take Tramadol for a back injury.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Gastric bypass 12, 2014 , asthma since birth , COPD, and low platelet count. That's all I can think of.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mental Health
7/2/2017
Mental Health Professional: llw26, Mental Health Professional replied 10 months ago
llw26
llw26, Mental Health Professional

Hi my name is ***** ***** give me a moment to read what you've written.

Thank you for the information and I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Serotonin Syndrome can be very serious - given that you reported you're having most of the symptoms - my suggestion would be to go to the emergency room, as it sounds serious enough to obtain in-person treatment. It may also be another medical aliment that happens when taking antipsychotics. Are you experiencing any of the symptoms listed here? Again, this sounds serious enough to go to the emergency room and obtain further evaluation there.

Didn't get an answer to my question @ all. Let me see if I can slow down long enough to give you a better history. Was diagnosed with bipolar in 2000. Became hypomanic almost 2yrs ago. I had most recently been on Seroquel 800 mg, Lamictal 100 mg twice daily, and trazodone [email protected] Seroquel was discontinued 7 wks ago and increased to 300 mg of trazodone (from 200 ) No substitute antipsychotic. Became manic 10 days ago and psychotic a few days after that. Was hospitalized for 4 days when meds were changed to trazodone 100, Lamictal unchanged, and 50mg tid and 400 @ us. Have continued with insomnia and hyperactivity since. All I wanted to know is how long does it take for seratonin to decrease after the withdrawal of SSRIs in manic individuals?
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a Psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your query.

I have read your clinical history but i will like to clarify few things.

1) Since how long have you been taking both trazodone and remeron ?

2) Why was seroquel discontinued despite your manic symptoms ?

3) What are your current symptoms of serotonin syndrome and since how long have you been experiencing them ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist