Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Has there been much success with anxiety and major

Customer Question
Has there been much...

Has there been much success with anxiety and major depressive disorder with two ssri's. I currently take celexa 40 mg a day and it seems like it's not working like it did when I first started.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

All my life. I was on social security disability for 5 years for this. I was home bound for 2 years

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Just high blood pressure. may be due to anxiety

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 12 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thanks for writing. My name is***** is definitely room for success and improvement after what is commonly referred t as the "poop out effect". The SSRIs are know to stop being as effective over time. The ideal thing to do if the poop out occurs is to either 1) bump up to a higher dose or 2) consider switching to a new SSRI. You do have room to go up on the Celexa as 60mg is the high end of the dose range. But switching and starting on a lower dose of a new SSRI could also prove effective. You and your doctor can decide which is ideal for you

I am here if you have additional questions!

-Leah