Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I HAVE ANXIETY DRIVING MY TRACTOR TRAILER.HAVE TRIED ANXIETY…

I HAVE ANXIETY...

I HAVE ANXIETY DRIVING MY TRACTOR TRAILER.HAVE TRIED ANXIETY BUSPAR,LEXAPRO,CYMBALTAL.NONE HELP.BUT MADE SITUATION WORSE.BUT XANAX WORKS.NO SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL.HOW CAN I LEGALLY GET PRESCRIPTION FOR XANAX ?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH ABOUT TWO YEARS NOW,HOWEVER SITUATION HAVE GOTTEN WORSE PAST 6-7 MONTHS.MEETING VEHICLES ON HIGHWAY.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

I HAD A VEHICLE HIT ME HEAD ON IN 2005.CAUSING ME TO HAVE SPINAL SURGERY.SINCE THAT TIME I HAVE BEEN LEARY OF MEETING VEHICLES ON HIGHWAY.AS I STATED,SITUATION HAS GOTTEN WORSE.

6/16/2017
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist

Hi, this is Dr. Mark; I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

First let me say that I can imagine how difficult this situation must be for you. That Xanax helps the anxiety without side effects is one of the wonders and difficulties of the drug. Let me explain this first and then let's discuss the anxiety.

You are facing a problem that is nationwide. You are at the beginning of the cycle and so you can choose to not get into the difficulties and I would recommend you seriously consider this before finding a doctor who will prescribe it for you. There are so many people in a difficult situation today throughout the country because doctors are no longer prescribing the way they used to and pharmacies are not releasing prescriptions except at the exact date that the number of pills prescribed would allow. This is a national problem because of the recognition by the government of the epidemic of addiction to opiates and to benzodiazepines that has spread in recent decades.
The most effective treatment for anxiety and panic attacks in recent years were the benzodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin). Problem: they have also become the most widely abused prescription drug on the street, called benzos. The DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) has taken notice. They're now keeping track of prescriptions: which pharmacies and doctors are prescribing them a lot. Some pharmacies have been closed and some doctors investigated. So all doctors are now very, very cautious. For good reason. So this makes everyone very suspect when coming in wanting meds for anxiety.
Another thing that has occurred is that to avoid misuse of these medications doctors are avoiding PRN prescriptions and instead prescribe these medications only with specifically timed dosages. (PRN, by the way, means Pro Re Nata - literally meaning "For the thing born," in Latin, but used to mean "as needed" today in medicine.) Thus, the pharmacies are being required to count the days that the prescriptions were written for to last. And if the patient seeks to refill a prescription before the date it should begin, the pharmacy will be considered in violation if they fill the prescription. Pharmacies and doctors have lost their licenses in the last few years and everyone is afraid of losing their licenses over these drugs.

I hope this gives you a sense of what's out there for people who've been using the benzodiazepines after a couple of years or so and they need to up the dosages, which is so very common in order to get the same relief. But since you're still deciding, let me discuss an alternative with you because your anxiety is related to a trauma.

I will also at the end of the posting give you a technique you can can use to help with anxiety from the post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) you are suffering.
I mentioned PTSD but I don't want you to get frightened at the word "disorder". You had one accident that has traumatized you and you need to treat it. That's all.
Psychotherapy that is helpful is some form of Exposure Therapy. I have found EMDR can be very useful especially for one time traumas. It is a type of therapy specifically for PTSD originally. Here is the International Society's website:
http://www.emdria.org/
On the web you will find many opinions on EMDR both for and against. I am trained in it and have found it useful. Exposure therapy is also very helpful. I have found that you need to combine these types of therapy with a more introspective, humanistic approach. If we actually look inside, we can find great relief and meaning. And we can feel whole in ourselves in ways that we haven't for decades.
So, please recommend to seek help and to get this treated because the therapies today are very successful in treating one-time traumas. I wish you the very best!
Finally, I am going to put here a protocol that is used for anxiety. So I want to give you this technique to help you IMMEDIATELY! while you look for the medical and psychological help. So, I want you to have this easy technique you can use right away to help you in every stage of your anxiety.
Here are instructions on a therapeutic protocol called Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR). It's really quite easy to do almost anywhere. My patients suffering from panic attacks or anxiety, when I teach them PMR at first are amazed how simple it is and that it is a psychological protocol. It was first used in the 1920s! Since then, of course, it has been refined and many studies have been done showing its effectiveness. You will practice PMR at first when you don't wake up with an attack so that you will be familiar with it. I want you to practice the PMR at least 5-6 times before an attack or feeling acute anxiety. Why? Because when you're in the throes of anxiety even if it just seems like sleeplessness, you will only remember to do something you are very familiar with it. So practicing 5-6 times is really a minimum. And this is good also for just general anxiety without panic attacks as well.

I want to stress the importance of breathing as well. Part of the physiology of what is happening to you in a panic attack is that your breathing is getting shallower. This reduces the oxygen in your blood to your brain. That increases the anxiety reaction, which strengthens the attack and you are in a vicious cycle! Not good. So breathing is the primary tool. I have found in my practice that learning breathing techniques can be helpful. But some of my patients are not interested in learning more than one thing at the beginning, so I have found that just reminding you to BREATHE deeply at the same time you are doing PMR is almost as good. If you are willing to take a yoga class for seniors and learn breathing techniques, that's the best. But, breathing deeply with your PMR will help.

So, we're ready for learning PMR. I want you to print my instructions below my signature and have a copy in each of the rooms of your home where you may be when you have an attack. And again, you need to practice this easy technique at least 5-6 times as soon as you can. It needs to become as natural to you as breathing. Ah, remember breathing?
My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. After finding a quiet place and several free minutes to practice progressive muscle relaxation, sit or lie down and make yourself comfortable.
2. Begin by tensing all the muscles in your face. Make a tight grimace, close your eyes as tightly as possible, clench your teeth, even move your ears up if you can. Hold this for the count of eight as you inhale.
3. Now exhale and relax completely. Let your face go completely lax, as though you were sleeping. Feel the tension seep from your facial muscles, and enjoy the feeling.
4. Next, completely tense your neck and shoulders, again inhaling and counting to eight. Then exhale and relax.
5. Continue down your body, repeating the procedure with the following muscle groups:
o chest
o abdomen
o entire right arm
o right forearm and hand (making a fist)
o right hand
o entire left arm
o left forearm and hand (again, making a fist)
o left hand
o buttocks
o entire right leg
o lower right leg and foot
o right foot
o entire left leg
o lower left leg and foot
o left foot
6. for the shortened version, which includes just four main muscle groups:
o face
o neck, shoulders and arms
o abdomen and chest
o buttocks, legs and feet
Quickly focusing on each group one after the other, with practice you can relax your body like ‘liquid relaxation’ poured on your head and it flowed down and completely covered you. You can use progressive muscle relaxation to quickly de-stress any time.
What You Need:
• A comfortable place.
• Some privacy.
• A few minutes.
Again:

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist