Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Broke my wrist on 4/23 and stared having panic/anxiety

Customer Question
attacks. Cast removed but still...
Broke my wrist on 4/23 and stared having panic/anxiety attacks. Cast removed but still getting attacks everyday. Dr prescribe hydroxyl inexpensive and busprine which made me worse. I've gone cold turkey last 8 days and suffering. Called Dr. Twice in the past week and he hasn't called back. I've taken 5mg of diazepam in the past and that helped w/o any side effects. Am hoping my new Doc will prescribe them. Also went to a behavior clinic for therapy and they suggested I call my Doc for diazepam. Having trouble leaving my home for PT because of serious panic/anxiety non stop.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: 5 weeks now. My mind won't stop going over various scenarios. Even the things I enjoy cause anxiety.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: Had anxiety after my divorce and
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mental Health
When I had to learn to drive at 59yrs. Pls help I feel I am losing my mind and I can't take much more of this.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
If there is an extra cost for a phone call I prefer a written response then.
6/2/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 6 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hello and thanks for writing. My name is***** am really sorry to hear you are having so much anxiety right now. Anxiety can be a very tricky thing and becomes a matter of pushing yourself to do things that are causing you worry. Listening to your anxiety or letting it "boss you around" and control you actually lends itself to further and more controlling anxiety! Once you get in the habit of pushing through and doing the things that are giving you anxiety, your brain will relearn that those things are not inherently dangerous - that the wrist breaking was a fluke and while bad things sometimes happen, on the whole, you have lived through so many experiences without any harm coming whatsoever. Reminding yourself of this and thinking very objectively is key to getting through anxiety or at least minimizing it to the point where you can get to the point where you feel more comfortable and confident and aren't second guessing risks.

If you are looking for some parctucal guidance on managing your anxiety, here are a few strategies you can begin to implement today

All of these are tried and true but they will work better the more and more you take time to practuce. So they are good tips to use in the monets where your anxiety is attacking you, but also as preventive strategies to overall become more in control of your thoughts and emotions.

1) Square breathing. My favorite version of this is to breath in for 4 counts, hold for 4 counts, exhale for 4 counts, and hold for four counts. Take a time out as often as you need to to do this controlled breathing and do it for several minutes at a time. The reason it helps is because when we are anxious, we often breath quickly and take in too much oxygen. Then we begin to hyperventilate which actually makes things worse and causes confusion for our brains and bodies. When doing this exercise (or any I suggest), your mind may wander away. Just gently bring it back to the ting you are trying to focus on, like the breathing and refocus. As the mind continues to stray, just bring your attention back. The mind straying lessens with practice teaching you how to be more in control of your thoughts in general.

2) Progressive muscle relaxation is where you get comfortable and start at the tips of your toes, and flex and hold every muscle group in your body for a 5 second flex. Work your way up from your toes all the way to your head. This flexing and releasing helps retrain your muscles to identify tension and rests them to be more loose. The reason this is important is because when we are anxious, we tend to tense our muscles. This automatic response tells our brain that there is something to be afraid of thereby triggering the alarm system (anxiety). Training the body to differentiate between tense and relaxed helps minimize the tense trigger that puts your brain right back in anxiety mode, but you need to help your muscles relearn what it feels like to be relaxed. PMR ca be hugely effective as a relaxation strategy if practiced daily for 10-20 minutes.

3) Mindfulness. Make efforts to live life by the minute, not in the future or the past. Be in every moment. Embrace all five of your senses in things you do. Pay attention. Enjoy the little things. Mindfulness means doing everyday tasks with higher awareness and teaches you to not always see things in big picture. There is a part of your brain that is always seeking to be logical. It tries to assign stories and meaning to places that have none and is the part that is responsible for automatically putting you in anxiety mode when you need to face things that could be deemed "risky", It grasps for similarities like associating being someplace with your injury and tries to associate them, even if they are totally unrelated. Being mindful and practicing it helps quiet this logical brain that sometimes causes us to overthink, over analyze, and draw inaccurate conclusions. It allows us to think more objectively and live in the moment, not the past and not the future. This is hugely important for people who have had trauma or are finding themselves ruminating about things that may recur. .

I am here to chat more if you'd like!!

-Leah

Hi, how are you doing? I wanted to check back as I noticed this question is still open and hope you would be willing to either provide me a rating or instead let me know how I can continue to help?

I hope the last few days have been a little easier for you!!

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker