Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My doctor switched me from sertraline to viibryd. I did one…

Customer Question
My doctor switched me...

My doctor switched me from sertraline to viibryd. I did one week of 10 mg, then 2 weeks of 20 mg, now back to 10mg so I can switch back to sertraline. I don't like viibryd. How can I safely switch back?

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

I've had more anxiety and irritability and stomach issues. Also blurred vision and some tingling

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

A few days.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Hypothyroidism bels palsey in 2008

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
6/2/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe that I can help you with your query.
Well for a swift as well as safe switch over from viibryd to sertraline you can use the strategy called as Cross - titration where in you start taking 10 mg viibryd every alternate day from now on in the morning for the next 10 days and while you do this you shall introduce sertraline at 25 mg dose to be taken on those alternate days when viibryd is not he by taken and continue this for next 10 days. After 10 days, stop viibryd completely while on the other hand start taking sertraline 25 mg every day at night. Continue​ this for next 2 weeks and then you may up the dose to 50 mg / day. Any further dose increment shall be done by 25 mg every 2 weeks until you find the right dose for your symptoms. Do not go beyond 225 mg dose / day.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards