Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

If you fear one day to start hearing voices cause it scare…

If you fear one day...
If you fear one day to start hearing voices cause it scare you do u think it will happen I have a fear of ever becoming schizophrenic because i seen how people lose touch and say they hear things and that scare me I be wondering if I would one day here things out of no where I seen stories how people get schizophrenia out of no where will anxiety cause that to happen or obsessive thoughrs about that happening will cause that please get back with me
5/29/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing to us. My name is***** can tell you without a doubt that worrying about becoming schizophrenic will not make you schizophrenic. Schizophrenia is mostly believed to be an organic disorder that people are born with meaning a person not prone to getting schizophrenia by nature of their brain chemistry will not suddenly develop it.

Please try not to worry about this. If you do not have symptoms of schizophrenia, then worrying about it will not cause you to develop it.

-Leah

Can I get a call from you

Sure but I have a commitment that i need to start readying for in about 20 minutes. If that is okay, you can click the offer about the phone call and we can chat!

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
I did
Phone call session started

Thanks! Calling now...

Hi Mike, just to confirm, higher doses of Zoloft are often required ro control OCD than might normally be used to treat depression. 50mg - 200mg is the range for this med so you should definitely start taking it at the 50mg, let your body adjust, wait a month or two, then consider upping the dose to increase the chance it helps control these symptoms. Plus, since you are really feeling the emotional weight of this condition, the Zoloft should help alleviate some of the depression you have been feeling lately. Depression is no doubt contributing to your thoughts about death and dying.

Here is another resource which I thought maybe helpful to you to wrap out head around your OCD versus generalized anxiety. I think the article lays it out pretty clearly and still believe you definitively fall in the OCD category. If your treating team isn't getting you, then their treatments may not be effective so you may want to show them this article to help them understand what you are going through.

https://www.verywell.com/what-is-the-difference-between-gad-and-ocd-1393010

I am thinking about you and wishing you the best. Remember, if you are feeling unsafe, the best place to report is to the nearest hospital. The National Suicide Hotline is also available 24/7/365 - 1-***-***-****. Keep fighting!

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker