Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I I'm going through extreme stressful situation right now.

My doctor prescribed valium to...
I I'm going through extreme stressful situation right now. My doctor prescribed valium to relax me but I have been on Paxil for many years. I get the sleep but wake up all adgitated. Ant ideas??
JA: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?
Customer: If I take valium before bed I fall asleep but wake early and am agitated
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: History of anxiety.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: My husband is sick and with md AppStore every day last week and this I'm wired to say the least.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thanks for writing. My name is***** am sorry to hear that things are tough right now. Taking the Valium could be causing you to have some side effects associated with this, like agitation and irritability. Also, taking this medication to help promote sleep is not ideal because when the medication wears off after about 4-6 hours, it can cause you to awaken as the symptoms return. So if sleep is a pressing issue for you, using the Valium for this purpose it not ideal as it can cause early awakening, which it seems you are experiencing so you may want to ask your doc for an alternative sleep aid or consider something over the counter, like melatonin (ask you pharmacist or doc before starting any med, even OTC).

As far as treating anxiety, you may want to lean on some behavioral approaches in an attempt to try to minimize your anxiety during this rough patch. Here is an article I wrote which discusses three common approaches to managing anxiety called mindfulness, progressive muscle relaxation, and square breathing. While these may provide minor relief when using them once or twice, ongoing practice and incorporation of these into your life can prove super helpful and may come in handy during future challenges.

http://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/wellness-prevention/3-easy-exercises-for-anxiety-relief-you-can-use-anywhere

Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you'd like to chat more. I hope your husband feels better soon!

Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
I would like to chat again about my Paxil use.
Thanks fir the rating. What would you like to know about Paxil? What dose do you take and how long have you been taking it?
Since 1998. I take 10 mg. Per day. Maybe increasing this dosage would give me more relaxation right now?

Raising the dose could provide you a boost. Taking this medication for 20 years is a long time to have been on it and these medications do have a tendency to "poop out" after time making them less effective. Often. bumping up the dose will help but it can also signal a good time to talk to your doc about a fresh start with something similar like Zoloft, Celexa or Lexapro. Raising the dose may not take effect immediately so if you do go up, assess after a week or two. I think that would be a good strategy as of now, but make sure your doc is on board.

-Leah

I apologize for not saying this earlier but wanted to add that 10mg is a very low dose of Paxil. 20mg is usually the starting dose so you certainly have room to go up safely. Highest max dose is typically 50mg.

I hope you feel better!

-Leah

Can Paxil quell depression as well?

Absolutely. It is prescribed to treat depression and also anxiety disorders.

It also seems like my anxiety is at its worst first thing in the am

Not too uncommon. We wake up and have to face a whole new day and that can get us peaked. What time of day do you take your Paxil?

After breakfast

You could try taking it at night to see if it provides you better coverage for the morning period. Or you could try keeping it on your nightstand to take the moment you get up so the early morning anxiety doesn't breakthrough while you get up and going.

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker