John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...
68372260

I have a really hard time recognising "subtleties" when

Customer Question

Hi, I have a really hard time recognising "subtleties" when interacting with people, as my friends call it, and it causes me to ruin relationships. This has happened forever, and due to it I've become depressed. How do I fix this?
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: I've tried talking to friends about it, but they couldn't help me. Usually people just tell me to stop being awkward and dense.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I don't know if this counts, but I started speaking late and had a stutter for a long time. I spent a lot of time fixing my stutter, so it's better now.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  John-Michaels replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a little PC and a mental health therapist. Please give me a moment as I respond to your question
I suggest you look over the following article: http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/tc/aspergers-syndrome-symptoms.Honestly, I think you are your own skin and not worry about what other people think. You are who you are. If it does happen to me aspergers, aspergers is as much a gift as it is a curse. I am guessing you're very smart in your own way. You see things in a different way than anybody else and because of that your perspective is needed to complete the picture .
Does that make sense to you?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Yeah, it definitely makes sense. I would, however, really like to learn methods to navigate social situations and relationships. If I do happen to have asperger's, where/how can I get a diagnosis and find help?
I'm not sure where you are talking from, but I would say contact a counseling office there or maybe a psychologist. Honestly, I psychologist in a full-blown assessment would be good.
You can start with the link I posted and do additional research. You're not in this alone. If you live close to a metropolitan area, there are probably even support groups.
I noticed you have not excepted by and through yet. We could discuss this on the phone if you wish to discuss it further. It is up to you…
Accepted