Spencer Chun
Spencer Chun, Board Certified MD
Experience:  10 years experience in Family Medicine and full scope Urgent Care
98967039

I am on seroquel but ran out and can't get any today and I

Customer Question

I am on seroquel but ran out and can't get any today and I am afraid I won't be able to sleep and will be messed up tomorrow if I miss a dose. I am bipolar. Can I take a 10 mg zyprexa for one night. I don't know what to do
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I am under the care of a psychiatrist. Do you think I can miss a dose? I am on seroquel trazadone and trliptal
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: No
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If you are not going to answer soon I want to cancel and get my money back
Expert:  Spencer Chun replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Chun, and thank you for trusting us at JustAnswer.

First off, I am sorry to hear about your situation, good news is I think you will be just fine tonight.

If the zyprexa 10mg tab is yours and you have had it before, that is a great solution to help you sleep tonight. If that is not prescribed for you, I think it would be safest to not try a new medication just for one night. As far as your bipolar, missing one dose of the nightly seroquel should not affect your mood overall and you will be fine. If your sleep is still a concern and don't have anything else, you could consider something over the counter just for tonight.

My first recommendation would be 5mg of melatonin which should not interact with your other medications.

The trazodone you take, is it for sleep? if so, how much do you take at night? That is another option and will help you sleep.

If you would like to continue this conversation, please reply, or I am happy to talk by phone.

I hope this is helpful, please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions you have.

Take care,

Spencer Chun, MD