Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I have been taking antidepressant for 10 years paxil,

Customer Question

I have been taking antidepressant for 10 years paxil, Effexor prestique and then stop working they work for a good time, now it has been 4 months taking all kinds of antidepressant non are working, I have major depression continuing agitation, they put me on a combo of zoloth and wellbutrine. Proxac , luvox, celexa, etc.. I take medication for diabitis, cholesterol and high blood pressure, I have been on zoloth and wellbetrin for 3 weeks feel no relief.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a Psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your query.

Well, since you have tried almost all the anti depressants which are available and still not been able to reap benefits that you desire in terms of symptom relief.

So i suggest that you need to ask your doctor to add a mood stabilizer such as either Lamictal at dose of 25-100 mg / day or Depakote at dose of 250-500 mg/ day. So according to me your drug regime should be like this as mentioned below and this strategy you should discuss with your prescribing doctor.

1) Wellbutrin ( extended release ) in morning at dose of 150-300 mg / day

2) Lamictal or Depakote ( chosen one of these by your doctor ) in the afternoon

3) Zoloft at dose of 25-100 mg at night.

By bringing a mood stabilizer on board your mood will be stabilized and the action of anti depressants will be augmented so as to benefit you to the maximum.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards