John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...
68372260

I am going threw some hard times right now! My dad has 6 to

Customer Question

Hi, I am going threw some hard times right now! My dad has 6 to 8 weeks left to live! I know he could go on longer than that! I am taking care of my mom to, she is 76 n had back surgery that went bad n now she can't walk! My husband left me after 34 years of marriage, it feels like I am morning a death! I can't get over it! I stay in my bedroom n don't see no one! I feel like I am drowning in hurt n dispare! I can't sleep or eat! How do I get over a 34 year marriage, it has ruined my life! All I do is cry! I need some help here! I also have a granddaughter that her parents are never around, I worry about her! I help raise her since she was born! I am just overwhelmed with worry! Is there help for me!
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: 8 years, nothing works, like walking, making friends, got to get out of bed to do that, when I have my granddaughter, but when she leaves I am right back to crying n the bedroom!
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: I thought about my thyroid, got it checked n it's fine! I just can't get over the hurt n worries! N now my dad n mom!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  John-Michaels replied 4 months ago.

The pain is totally understandable. You have been through more than the average person could handle. Could we set up a call? I really want to help you, but feel like a call would be best. If not, I understand. I will make this work.

...

One thing you need to do is give yourself time to heal. Go ahead and cry, but also remember the good times. With all the loss you are going through, it could be many months before you sense normalcy. By the way, that is what grieving is about; accepting the loss and finding a new normal.