Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My Psychiatrist has prescribed me Ativan .025 to take as…

Customer Question
Hi. My Psychiatrist has...

Hi. My Psychiatrist has prescribed me Ativan .025 to take as needed. I've had a awful time with antidepressants and the side effects. I having anxiety everyday. Can I get addicted taking this dose everyday?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Got my first mammogram and had a nervous breakdown when they called me back to Do additional test. Although it was just density I haven't got over it. I have a fear I'm going to die and leave my baby and husband everyday. It's ruining my life

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

No I've been healthy so far

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
5/9/2017
Mental Health Professional: llw26, Mental Health Professional replied 1 year ago
llw26
llw26, Mental Health Professional

Hi my name is ***** ***** I hope I can help. First, I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this - anxiety is not fun, nor are panic attacks. Good thing though is that anixety is highly treatable!

Ativan can become addictive; however, if it is carefully monitored - the level of addiction decreases significantly. Further you're expressing fear of becoming addicted, which is good - as this is another indicator that the likelihood of becoming addicted is lower.

Have you tried individual therapy to work through what happened at the doctors? Do you utilize any other form of treatment - like behavioral techniques to calm your brain down, which in turn calms your body down? If not, would you like additional information?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't. I bet I've been to the Dr and Er a dozen times thinking I've got cancer. I have such a cancer paranoia. There is no way I will get through my 6 month check up at my next mammogram. I'm so scared. Causes me anxiety thinking about it. I just can not take antidepressants. I lost 10 pda in 1 week and stomach pain hallucination. My Psych has put me on 3.5 Mirtzapine and I scared it will turn me into a vegetable or I won't wake up. I'm a mess. I need to be strong for my family tho
It's been awful.

Wow, it sounds quiet traumatic. I'm sorry to hear that. Are you willing to try individual therapy? I think with the support of a therapist, and your family, you'll be able to get through your 6-month check-in. There's ways to decrease your anxiety and work through it - instead of succumbing to it.

Mirtazpine should not "turn [you] into a vegetable" it's a very common anti-anxiety medication - that, again, should not have sedating effects. Medications work differently for different people and so you have to find the right one for you - which sometimes makes people feel like they're being experimented on - but it's due to the fact that everyone's neurology is different.

There's other ways of working through you anxiety though - like deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, yoga, guided imagery, watching calming youtube videos (like of an ocean).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In your opinion do you think Mirtzapine is a good med? I've heard horror stories. From it having a recall to you can function and nightmares and I'm already having those. The therapy that you are talking about is it something I would need to find where I live?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By the way, Thanks so much for listening and giving me advice ��

Oh of course! You're very welcome.

I've had many clients use mirtzapine and benefit from the medication - how long have you been on it? It can take up to 4-6 weeks for someone to feel the "full effects" and some of the adverse symptoms may subside during that time. You also reported a lot of anxiety - nightmares are actually very common with individuals who have anxiety - it's one of the ways to determine if the individual is depressed or anxious. So the nightmares may be related to anxiety. Also, if you're reading these stories online - please remember, everyone is different - some of these individuals may be taking other medications, may be using illicit substances and/or alcohol, etc.

Yes, finding someone in your area would be the best. I can assist you with this, if you'd like.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't tried it. I've been to scared too. Scared I will die. I haven't even took ativan. Was prescribed on April 9. Can you do that?

I would start the medication, take as prescribed. If you're having a panic attack, you can put the ativan under your tongue to dissolve and feel the effects of the medication faster (you should notice a difference in a matter of minutes).

I can help you find a therapist in your area - where do you reside? Or, if you feel more comfortable, you can search for a provider on https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/