Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am on the following medication: 2 x 150mg Venlor XR

Hi I am on the...
Hi I am on the following medication:
2 x 150mg Venlor XR (venlafaxine)
1 X 50mg Solian (at night)
1 X 200mg Epitec (at night)
1 X 100mg Topamax (at night)
1 X 150mg Wellburtin (morning)
My Psychiatrist has recently prescribed me 36mg concerta to help me to concerntrate during a very demanding Masters year however the concerta seems to have no effect at all. Is one of my other medications cancelling it out?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
very demanding
4/30/2017
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a Psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your query.

May i please ask you what is your diagnosis for which you have been prescribed these medications ?

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder. However I have been somewhat treatment resistant in the past. This is the first combination of meds that seems to really be working for me.The Topamax was added due to the fact that I have a tendency to gain weight on my medication.
The Epitec is there as my mood has a tendency to fluctuate, I have never experienced highs only fluctuating lows however- which is why I never got a dignosis of bipolar 2. My moods have been very consistent now for the past year.My only problem now is concentration, which could possibly be a side effect of the Topamax unfortunately.

Why is solian added ? It is a dopaminergic antagonist agent and it seems to be the one which is interfering with the action of concerta, usually combination of an antipsychotic medication like Solian and a brain stimulant like concerta is not used because they tend to nullify each other's action.

So if you can ask doctor to stop or bring you off solian then you may see concerta helping you with your lack of concentration, focus and memory.

I hope this makes sense.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The solian was added for anxiety, however I will consult with my doctor about this because I feel that it is doing more harm than good at this point.Thank you for your assistance.Regards!

Well, solian is not the right choice for anxiety and it seems to be having no use in your drug regime. For anxiety you need to take klonopin or ativan 0.25 mg on PRN basis that is as and when required basis at times of anxiety.

I hope this helps.

May i please request you to kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist