Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Why some people get angry if other people point out they did…

Why some people get angry...

Why some people get angry if other people point out they did wrong things? I would think when people know they did wrong things they should feel sorry and try to correct. Thanks.

4/28/2017
llw26
llw26, Mental Health Professional

Hi my name is ***** ***** I hope I can help. There are many reasons as to why someone may react in a negative manner. Some people get upset when they're told they did something wrong, as they are upset at themselves, they're upset at the situation, they don't think they did anything wrong, the way in which the individual who provided the feedback gave said feedback, the person is having a bad day, the individual doesn't like criticism - even if it's a helpful suggestion or feedback. Was there a specific situation when you had a negative experience with someone?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the very helpful information. I'm sorry I was away. I think the people I was talking to were not happy about themselves as well as their situation. Wondered what I should do, or how I should communicate with them. Thanks.

You're welcome and that's okay! It doesn't sound like they're happy with themselves or what's happening in their life - have you suggested to them trying to turn around their thoughts? Like if they say "oh man, it's another hot day" you could say, "yes, but at least it's not snowing!" Trying to turn a negative into a positive - this works for some people, other people who are more negative (that's engrained in their personality) generally continue to talk about how it's hot and crappy out - and those individuals generally need to figure out for themselves that life can be negative but it can also be positive - we make our lives what we want them to be. I really like how Viktor Frankl discusses our ability to turn around our days (he was in a concentration camp and spoke about how he found a will to live, even in the darkest hours). If they're super negative though and it's affecting you - you may want to think about the relationship you have with them and determine if it's a worthwhile relationship.

llw26
llw26, Mental Health Professional
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the very helpful answer!

You're very welcome!