Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have been prescribed a benzodiazepine for 17 years now. in…

Customer Question
Hello. I have been prescribed...
Hello. I have been prescribed a benzodiazepine for 17 years now.
in the summer of 2016 until Feb 2nd, 2017 I was having increasing health anxiety that in january became extremely bad. My primary care physician told me to come down on my dose of 2.5 mg klonopin and and started feeling a huge amount of withdrawal/ anxiety. I started having this intrusive thought delusion perhaps that the world was hell. 6 days later i went to the psychiatric hospital. I never said anything at the hospital about this, only about my anxiety and was released 3 days later with a diagnosis of bipolar from a doctor that listened to me for 5 minutes each day. When I got out of the hospital nothing changed and I was a nervous wreck and still am even on my high dose of now 5-6 mg klonopin. I have developed extreme social anxiety. I have become agoraphobic. The Klonopin feels like it is barely working. I can't sleep without 50 mg seroquel. This whole time i have had extreme derealization which is also very scary along with the thought that the world is hell. (Sometimes I can be distracted from that thought so I don't know if it is intrusive or a real delusion. It is now almost May, I still have that thought and a lot of anxiety plus a lot of derealization. If I go even a few hours without taking my klonopin I experience extreme impending doom. All of this has turned my life upside down in a matter of months (staring in febuary).I am scared to watch tv, I am scared to go places or do anything that makes me feel uncomfortable. I no longer have the desire to do anything I used to love. I am always in my mind and thinking what could be wrong with me. My quality of live had drastically decreased. Recently I had a psychiatrist diagnose me with Hypochondriasis, Ocd, Ptsd, Severe anxiety, depression. He upped my dose to 6 mg of Klonopin a day and put me on 10 mg of paxil with the intent on upping my dose once its in my system. Can someone please help me. A month ago another Psychiatrist told me i sounded like I was going into physcosis. and prescribed me zyprexa but i have been scared to take it. Other therapists/phsyciatrists say that i seem to grounded fro the physcosis to be true. Could all of this be due to me quickly lowering my dose of klonopin back in febuary and all of the extreme health anxiety i was experiencing? Now I am experiencing phycological anxiety, wondering if I have a mental disorder. Can someone please give me some answers or guidance?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mental Health
4/24/2017
Mental Health Professional: John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC) replied 10 months ago
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello! My name is***** am an LPC. I want to help you, but please give me a moment to look over your question.
I am going to opt out and allow you to be helped by someone more qualified to meet your needs. You need to speek to a psychiatrist.
Hello, is anyone going to reply?

....

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Just wondering when I can get a response from the psychiatrist.

I am going to try to get a moderator to help you out. I apologize for how things have delayed.

Moderator? Thank you

Site Supervisor

Ok. Did I accidentally do this wrong? I thought I clicked on psyhchiatrist.

No, not really. it might have helped had you started off with "I need to speak to a psychiatrist." because not all on this category are psychiatrists. If anything. I should have read your question before responding, I hope we can get you help.

Please try to get me help John. Thank you

I will do the best I can.

I need a phsychiatrist
The derealization is so bad. I feel like I cannot connect to anything or anyone. Everything seems foreign. It's very scary. I feel like I have memory problems and trouble following along with things. I have been worried I have psychosis or schizophrenia or a delusional disorder or even a type of Alzheimer's. I don't see hallucinations or hear voices. I've been on this paxil for 3 days and it's making me feel more weird and disconnected. I feel so majorly depressed because of all of this. I hardly talk or have the urge to unless I absolutely have to. I hardly laugh, sometimes I cry very hard thinking about all of this and how my life isn't the same as it was 6 months ago when I was normal.
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings. Welcome to the site. I am a Psychiatrist and I believe that I can help you with your query. First and foremost please mention all the medications that you are currently taking along with their doses and times of intake ? Regards
Klonopin 5-6 mg daily (every 6 hours).
Seroquel 50 mg at bedtime.
Doc told me to stop paxil because it made me feel even weirder.That is it.
I don't know if you saw my original post so I will repost.Hello. I have been prescribed a benzodiazepine for 17 years now.
in the summer of 2016 until Feb 2nd, 2017 I was having increasing health anxiety that in january became extremely bad. My primary care physician told me to come down on my dose of 2.5 mg klonopin and and started feeling a hugeamount of withdrawal/ anxiety. I started having this intrusive thought delusion perhaps that the world was hell. 6 days later i went to the psychiatric hospital. I never said anything at the hospital about this, only about my anxiety and was released 3 days later with a diagnosis of bipolar from a doctor that listened to me for 5 minutes each day. When I got out of the hospital nothing changed and I was a nervous wreck and still am even on my high dose of now 5-6 mg klonopin. I have developed extreme social anxiety. I have become agoraphobic. The Klonopin feels like it is barely working. I can't sleep without 50 mg seroquel. This whole time i have had extreme derealization which is also very scary along with the thought that the world is hell. (Sometimes I can be distracted from that thought so I don't know if it is intrusive or a real delusion. It is now almost May, I still have that thought and a lot of anxiety plus a lot of derealization. If I go even a few hours without taking my klonopin I experience extreme impending doom. All of this has turned my life upside down in a matter of months (staring in febuary).I am scared to watch tv, I am scared to go places or do anything that makes me feel uncomfortable. I no longer have the desire to do anything I used to love. I am always in my mind and thinking what could be wrong with me. My quality of live had drastically decreased. Recently I had a psychiatrist diagnose me with Hypochondriasis, Ocd, Ptsd, Severe anxiety, depression. He upped my dose to 6 mg of Klonopin a day and put me on 10 mg of paxil with the intent on upping my dose once its in my system. Can someone please help me. A month ago another Psychiatrist told me i sounded like I was going into physcosis. and prescribed me zyprexa but i have been scared to take it. Other therapists/phsyciatrists say that i seem to grounded fro the physcosis to be true. Could all of this be due to me quickly lowering my dose of klonopin back in febuary and all of the extreme health anxiety i was experiencing? Now I am experiencing phycological anxiety, wondering if I have a mental disorder. Can someone please give me some answers or guidance?

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Well, it seems like your anxiety levels are high and you also have depression and collectively these are causing derealization , obsessive thinking, mood swings, easy distractibility, low confidence and feeling of loosing control, etc

You see it was a right move on the part of your doctor to start you on an anti depressant but unfortunately paxil did not suit you but nonetheless what you need to understand is that klonopin is at a fairly high dose and it is a mere quick fix to your problem of anxiety as it brings only transient relief to your symptoms. So in order to have a permanent and long lasting solution to your present symptoms i suggest that you ask your doctor to start you on another anti depressant drug such as Lexapro at dose of 10 mg first to be taken in morning after breakfast which after 10 days need to be raised to 15 mg / day and then after 2 weeks to 20 mg / day. While you introduce lexapro , simultaneously the doctor needs to up the dose of seroquel SR ( SUSTAINED RELEASE version for longer acting effect ) to 100 mg at bedtime.

Lastly, the doctor also needs to consider introducing a mood stabilizer such as either depakote or depakene after 1 week of raising dose of seroquel. As of now no change should be done to the dose of klonopin but Onceyour symptoms get well under control then klonopin should slowly tapered off.

I hope this makes sense and provides you a direction to move in. I am hopeful that these said changes in your drug regime will be able to provide you good symptomatic relief and help you to overcome your condition effectively.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

It feels like my central nervous system is so vulnerable now. I have in the last few months become extremely intolerant to caffeine, b12, Any ssri I take makes me feel like I am out of it and derealization and depression is stronger or they give me way to much negative energy like I drank to much caffeine. My mind is quickly becoming tolerant to 6 mg of klonopin. I feel like they don't work well. I feel like I'm having interpose withdrawals.

In that case you may try an snri drug like efffexor xr at dose of 37.5 mg twice a day that is morning and evening.

I can understand that you atre enduring a lot of symptoms but bringing in the right anti depressant is right way forward so as to bring you out of the clutches of withdrawal as well as heightened levels of anxiety and associated derealization state and over thinking.

Kindly do the needful and see the improvement in your condition over a period of time.

Regards

What about the world is hell thought? Intrusive thoughts or delusion? I have become a Gora phobic and very antisocial and basically scared to do everything as it feels uncomfortable sometimes it's hard for me to even take a shower. Are these symptoms of schizophrenia or psychosis?
I do about 10% of the stuff I used to do 6 months ago when I was normal. I can't even get on fb and be social at all. I also notice my relationships with people also seem distant. Even close family. I hardly talk. I am a musician and I haven't been able to do anything musically. I feel like my mental state is deteriorating. Could this be from the long term benzo and use?
I just don't know what snapped in me and made me this way.
Well, yes there is a good possibility that other than your underlying Depression and anxiety, long term use of a benzodiazepine like Klonopin might have caused mental dullness or cognitive decline which now has transpired into lack of creativity , lack of initiative and listlessness, worsening of depression, poor memory and recall, lack of freshness of mind or brain fog. Therefore it is essential to come off klonopin but this cannot be done until your present symptoms are controlled and therefore you need to start on the medications that I have suggested. Once your state mind becomes stable and your mind is no longer clouded by such symptoms then the withdrawal of Klonopin shall be done albeit gradually so as to prevent untoward withdrawal symptoms. I hope this sums it up for you. Kindly discuss this and do the needful and hopefully you will regain your previously happy and peaceful self. Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer. Regards
Could the klonopin be causing these symptoms of me being afraid of everything? Or is it something else? Everything feels dark and eerie. Those are the reasons I feel like I can't do anything

Well, klonopin is not working for you after so many years of use so it is certainly not helping you with your underlying anxiety and depression and it is this uncontrolled underlying anxiety that has been contributing to your fear of everything. So you need to control your anxiety and other symptoms so as to be able to wean yourself off klonopin which may perhaps now be causing to worsening of your symptoms instead of managing them.

However, having said that you at this moment of time you cannot afford to come off klonopin straight up as this will throw you off balance and exacerbate your present symptoms, so kindly discuss with your doctor the strategy that i have discussed above of introducing effexor xr at 37.5 mg twice a day and taking 100 mg of Seroquel SR at bedtime. In 2-3 weeks you will find these symptoms beginning to subside and then you can consider starting the withdrawal process of klonopin.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards

Doctor Kaushik, with all of the symptoms I explained, even the odd/bizarre ones, what kind of diagnoses would you give me in your opinion?
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist