Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have bipolar disorder for 20 years,... I have bipolar

I have bipolar disorder for...
I have bipolar disorder for 20 years,...
I have bipolar disorder for 20 years, I eat Zoloft 50mg,seroquel 200mg and Depakin 500mg(Compound Sodium Valproate and Valproic Acid Sustained Release Tablets) my question is any medicine is similar to Depakin, but much popular, I want to know all kinds medicine ,the name and fuction are similarto Depakin, thanks,
4/12/2017
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
Well you see depakene is a mood stabilizer and other mood stabilizers which can act similar to depakene are depakote ( divalproex Sodium ) which is the closest in terms of action and chemical composition to depakend. Others are Lamictal , topamax , oxcarbamazepine. I suggest that if you are thinking of replacing depakene, then the closest drug to its action and chemical nature would depakote which is available in 250, 500, 750 mg doses respectively, which can be given once a day if it is an extended release preparation as opposed to twice a day dosing of depakene.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist