Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I was diagnosed with traumatic brain injury and psychosis…

Hi. I was diagnosed with...
Hi. I was diagnosed with traumatic brain injury and psychosis not otherwise specified about 8 years ago. I have been symptom free for these 8 years while on 3 and then 4 mg of risperidone. up until last year where i felt i was experiencing some symptoms of psychosis after a bad drug interaction with xenical weight loss I got back to normal but now stopped drinking coffee and tea as it tended to increase or stimulate me. I also upgraded some months ago to 5mg risperidone. i asked my doctor and he said ok. I have felt a bit off today and and worried that possibly a relapse is happening. so my questions are could the upgrade to 5mg have caused a resistance, causing the medication to not work. and if i am headed toward relapse, what should i do mitigate the problems, for instance changing meds or increasing the dosage again, what should i do exactly what steps should i take? I dont want to relapse. thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/10/2017
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe that I can help you with your query.
Well, since it has been a very long time that you have been using risperidone so there are high chances that you may have developed tolerance or resistance against this drug which is evident from the fact that a fairly high dose of 5 mg is now not enough to contain your psychotic symptoms, according to me , you need to augment the action of risperidone by adding another anti psychotic medication but at a modest dose so that your symptoms get stabilized plus you will be able to reduce the dose of risperidone also thereby mitigating its potential side effects. Another Alternative would be to replace risperidone altogether but this may pose a risk of relapse since you will have to introduce new anti psychotic drug while lowering the dose of risperidone which may allow the symptoms to flare up.
So I would suggest that you ask your doctor to use an another anti psychotic medication as Aan augmenting agent , some good ones would be Lurasidone at dose of 40 mg per day or aripiprazole 5-10 mg per day while lowering the dose of risperidone to 4 mg after 1 week of introducing any one of these two. This shall hell you to over the impending relapse or prevent it in the first place.
Once your symptoms have been stabilized then your doctor can decide on keeping one of the two anti psychotic medications and removing the other preferably risperidone since it has been there since long and is losing it's edge.
I hope this makes sense and hopefully it will solve your problem.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your saying its ok to take risperidone and abilify at the same time? dont I have to cut one out?
it is okay to take them co comitantly , while risperidone can be taken at night , on the other hand abilify in the morning.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Regards
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The issue is, I am not sure if i am relapsing. I still am pretty normal, keeping in mind my situation. I mean can type to you read, write watch tv, Im not sure if its how I normally am or its something happening, im not sure how to tell
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there a way to tell if I am having problems, can i take both medications permanetly or should i stop on eventually?
Well, if your mind starts getting bizarre thoughts rendering you confused and ambivalent then it would be the right time to start on abilify while continuing on risperidone. You see one or two days of feeling odd or uncomfortable cannot actually tell if it us relapse, so you need to wait and watch over your symptoms for next couple of weeks at least so as to know if you are relapsing or not.
At the moment I feel you should just wait and watch over your mood and the thought process and if you find some changes on the lines of psychosis then you ask doctor to prescribe you this abilify.
I hope this helps
Wish you all the best.
Regards
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi.sorry for the delay. Would I have to stay on both of the medications permanetly?
Also, if i feel that I am stable at this point, and dont need abilify, would it be ok to go back down to 4mg of risperidone. Would that help to reduce the chances of resistance to the medication? if it hasnt happened yet?
No you do not have to be placed permanently on both the drugs but as I said earlier one of these two will have to be weaned off , preferably the new drug abilify should stay while risperidone will have to be tapered off since it is the one that has become ineffective due to increased tolerance aka resistance of the body against this drug .
If you feel okay then there is no need to start on abilify but do not go down to 4 mg just as yet since it will be too fast tapering too soon. The reduction of dose would not increase the chances of lowered resistance.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
May I please request you to kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. So ho would I go on the abilify? Would I start with 1mg for a week at time until 5 mg? I want no sideeffects. I am in the middle of school and life etc, i dont want any set backs. Is there and interaction with abilify and rispierdone?
You may start at at 2 mg of abilify to be taken in the morning while continuing on risperidone in the night, this to be continued for 1 week after which increase the dose of abilify to 5 mg while still continuing on risperidone at present dose, continue​ this for 10 days and then further up the dose of abilify to 10 mg in the morning while still continuing on risperidone as it is at night time.
This strategy and pattern if you follow will lower the chances of interaction between these two however, you must ask your doctor to also start you on trihexylphenidyl 2 mg twice a day dose for preventing any sort of side effect with the concomitant use of these two antipsychotic medications.
I hope this sums it up for you.
Wish you all the best.
Regards
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what interactions are possible, because i have a doctor telling me its pretty risky to take these to meds
Extrapyramidal side effects like tremors, dystonia , akathisia, poor balance and incoordination, etc but these can be prevented by use of trihexylphenidyl as mentioned above, mention this drug to your doctor, hopefully he will understand and his apprehension can be mitigated.
Regrds