Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I think I have Borderline Personality Disorder, but this is…

I think I have Borderline...
I think I have Borderline Personality Disorder, but this is just self-diagnosis. How will I know if I really do have it and what are the ways to cope up?
4/5/2017
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Let's start with the basic criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder. Can you look these over and tell me your thoughts:

Borderline personality disorder may be characterized by the following signs and symptoms:

• Markedly disturbed sense of reality
  • Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment and extreme reactions to such
  • Splitting ("black-and-white" thinking)
  • Impulsivity
  • Intense or uncontrollable emotional reactions that often seem disproportionate to the event or situation
  • Unstable and chaotic interpersonal relationships
  • Self destructive behaviors
  • Distorted self image
  • Frequently accompanied by depression, anxiety, anger, substance abuse, or rage

The most distinguishing symptoms of BPD are marked sensitivity to rejection or criticism, and intense fear of possible abandonment. Overall, the features of BPD include unusually intense sensitivity in relationships with others, difficulty regulating emotions, and impulsivity. Other symptoms may include feeling unsure of one's personal identity, morals, and values; having paranoid thoughts when feeling stressed; dissociation and depersonalization; and, in moderate to severe cases, stress-induced breaks with reality or psychotic episodes.

I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems that I have most of the signs you provided. Considering that the nearest Psychotherapist in our area is miles away, can I conclude that I really have BPD?

If you feel you have the majority of these symptoms then yes, it is a reasonable assumption. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Please take a moment to rate my service to you and let me know if I can help any further. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a self destructive behavior and when in a relationship tends to be manipulative and a dick partner. Could it be possible that I also have ASPD?

People who have Antisocial Personality Disorder have a tendency to manipulate, exploit, or violate the rights of others. Symptoms of Antisocial Personality Disorder include the following:

• Aggression and getting into frequent physical altercations
  • Poor impulse control and neglecting to consider consequences
  • Irresponsibility (for example, the inability to hold a job or fulfill other obligations)
  • Deceitfulness (as evidenced by regular lying or misrepresentation)
  • Disregard for the safety of others and self, and general lack of remorse following mistreatment of others
  • Inability to conform to social norms, often engaging in illegal behaviors

This pattern of violating others’ rights inevitably leads to an impaired ability to establish and sustain positive relationships with others.

People with Antisocial Personality Disorder are more likely to direct their aggression toward others, whereas with Borderline Personality Disorder this aggression is more self-directed and self-damaging.

• There is greater egocentric behavior in people with Antisocial Personality Disorder and an impaired ability to form attachments. This detachment contributes to making therapy a more difficult process for people with Antisocial Personality Disorder.
  • People with BPD are more likely to seek out interpersonal relationships. They also maintain a damaged self-image and combat depression more often than people with Antisocial Personality Disorder.
  • Antisocial Personality Disorder tends to affect more men than women, whereas BPD is more common in women than me

And yes, traits of each can appear in the same person but we will diagnose the person with the Personality Disorder that they exhibit the most traits of. I know this is a lot of information, but it is an interesting question that deserves a thorough answer.

Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

If my help and information has been helpful could you please take a moment to rate my service to you? I would greatly appreciate it. I wish you all the best and if you need more information I am here to help you. Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful.
I have self-destructive behavior but not in a literal manner. Simply put, I love hurting myself emotionally especially after a break-up. You can have BPD even without cutting, right?

Good, you are welcome I have been glad to help. Please take a moment to rate my service to you. I would really appreciate it and wish you all the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have just rated 5 stars. Sorry for the delay. My previous question was, you can have BPD even without cutting, right? Thank you much for the response.

No problem and thank you for the positive rating. yes, I have worked with clients who have BPD but do not engage in cutting behavior. However there usually are thoughts of self harm even though the person may not act on them. Linda