Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My husband and I discussed when we were happy today, I can…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I discussed when we were happy today, I can only recall 2 times and he could only recall 2 years prior to marriage, I am so lonely I'm not sure what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Why would I talk to a doctor about this?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Seriously

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/4/2017
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 1 year ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello and thank you for reaching out to Just Answer with your concerns about your marriage. I apologize for the standardized questions they are meant to help us as Experts know as much as we can before answering. I do a lot of couples counseling and often see couples who have grown apart and no longer feel the connection they once did. In your case it sounds like there have always been some limits to you feeling happy with him. Why is that? I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My real father (that I don't know) left when I was born because he didn't want a daughter, my mother remarried and I was sexually raped from the time I was 2 1/2 until 17, I married a person that was abusive physically and cheated on me. My husband now is not a bad person but the day after we got married and ready to head out to our reception he brought up his first wife, after a couple of weeks of being married my husband was making a tree fort for my grandson that I adopted, I went outside to offer him some tea and before I could say anything I heard him say " I would do her" I was devastated, when I asked him who he was talking about he said it was a woman at his sisters wedding. I really don't believe he will cheat on me but we haven't had any relations for months, he's a diabetic and says that's the issue. There's so much more but hopefully this helps.

It certainly makes sense that you carry some deep wounds with you when it comes to closeness, trust, love, family. I am truly sorry that you were violated sexually, abused physically and in general taught an awful lot about being hurt and not being a person with inherent value that should be respected and cared for. would you consider doing therapy with a trauma informed psychotherapist. You deserve to have a safe, therapeutic environment to start to have validation for what you have been through, how your experiences have effected you and start the process of healing these wounds. You must feel very lonely sometimes. My heart goes out to you. Linda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't afford it, but would welcome some type of help, I am out of work due to melanoma on my foot and 2 tumors on my lungs waiting for another MRI in first part of May.

Ugggghhhh! Can you tell me where you live I might be able t research some mental health counselors in your area that charge on a sliding scale.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mancelona Michigan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Didn't mean to stress you!

No, no worries. I am here for you. I am going to be working with some clients until 8:30pm EST now, but will work on this tonight and see if I can find something, I've got my fingers crossed! Linda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much!

You are welcome. I have had a moment to research some possibilities in your area and I do think that there are some possibilities for affordable mental health services. Please check this website out below for some options for counseling. Marriages can only be as healthy and strong as the two people in it. Seek counseling and the healing that will come with it and that may also help to build a stronger, healthier marriage. I wish you the very best and hope you get in touch in the future and let me know how you are doing. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-71547_2943_52115-203750--,00.html

It was good to be able to help you. You deserve as much support as possible. Could you please take a moment to rate my service to you. I would truly appreciate it and if there is ever anything I can do to help, please let me know. Linda D.