Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Being in a deep despesion for quite a time I started to

Customer Question
Being in a deep despesion...
Being in a deep despesion for quite a long time I started to practice self harm with no intention to demonstrate my injuries to anyone.
I am ongoing psychoanalysis with my therapist but as we good deeper in my state and childhood I suddenly started to feel the urge to harm myself especially after an argument or situations when I was not understood
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
4/1/2017
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 1 year ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Dear *****a, it is not uncommon that when a person starts to revisit traumatic and painful events from their childhood that they may stir up and trigger great pain and turmoil. However as therapists we provide a safe, therapeutic environment for these memories and feelings to be processed. As we do this work we rely on our patients to report symptoms like the ones you are having so that we may provide techniques that can be used when these intense feelings are stimulated. Have you shared with your therapist that the work you are doing is triggering this reaction in you? I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC