Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I was wondering if you could tell me anything about false…

Customer Question
Hi. I was wondering...

Hi. I was wondering if you could tell me anything about false memories and OCD?

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

Yes.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Been struggling with OCD for about 3.5 and just started getting help a month or so ago

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been struggling with something. I know I did something one time, and it was a traumatic event that caused high levels of anxiety and depression. I had been obsessing over the details to figure out exactly what happened for quite a while. Something that bothered me was that there are other memories that I had in the past that were as clear as day, yet the details on this specific event that I was obsessing over were foggy so I was worried that I wasn't being honest with the memory out of fear of the consequences. I started thinking about other memories I had and wondered if I did this same act then, too. I had one memory that I was aware of of me driving in my car, and I wondered if I did it then and imagined myself doing it. It feels so real now, because there are parts that I know happened, parts I think happened and now parts that I'm worried happened. It feels so real, and I can almost imagine details about the event and everything feels so real and familiar. I tried remembering if I had any recall during that time period of this event, and I started imagining that I did. And if I didn't, I'm also aware of the fact that at that time I was involved in an unrelated obsession, which causes me to forget things easily. Since then, I have had similar familiar feelings of doing this even further ago. I don't know if all these are real, if any of them are real, or if none of them are real and I don't know how to determine it. I would love some help with this. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thinking about what I'm saying seems like I've fabricated some of this stuff out of worry/anxiety, but why would the feelings feel real and familiar if I hadn't done them?
4/1/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer. I'm Dr Ted Manos M.D., ObGyn. I've had years of training about how individuals think about their lives and how it effects their being. I'll continue in a moment.
Events happen in our lives and it we make it mean something that isn't necessarily true. However, our perception sees it as being true. We live by those perceptions that we carry as baggage into the future. I read your text and I could hear the OCD coming through about are all, some or none real. The answer is that all, some or none of our perceptions or meanings are real. The best rule of thumb for OCD is that life is empty and meaningless, and it's empty and meaningless, that it's empty and meaningless. What has happened in the past is not what has happened from our point of view. So, can I trust the uncertainty and realize I can't be sure of what happened even if I find a recording of the memory in my brain. OCD will keep on searching for the truths of perceptions. There is no end point. It also makes the answers in Justanswer hard to trust if the question is followed by "what if..,." I hope you have seen value from my perceptions of the many seminars I've attended. I once had a seminar about fear and the audience was asked to close their eyes and then fearful circumstances were described. At the end, we were asked about what we saw for ourselves. I stood up and said I'm pretty fearless. The leader looked me in the eye and told me "maybe you fear vulnerability". I didn't get it until over the next few years and I saw she was reading me well. Human beings have the power to choose an answer because we have the power to choose the answer right or not right.