Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia, and the voice has…

I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia...
I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia, and the voice has gone away with medication. If I have a relapse again will it be less severe? The voice less loud? Etc..
3/30/2017
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist

Thanks for your query. You have mentioned that you are responding to medicines and this is a very good sign that the voice has gone away. While being on medicines there are very less chances that you will experience any relapse.

A patients suffering from schizophrenia may or may not have multiple exacerbations and remissions and also it is impossible to comment upon the severity of future relapses because there might be no such episode or those episode may be mild, moderate or severe so in my view you need not to worry about the possibility of future relapse at present.

Once the treatment is stopped, some patients may experience relapse of illness in future. In such cases, all they need to do is to recognize early signs of illness and seek for a timely intervention so that the illness can be controlled during the early stages only.

Just mentioning few of those signs here below.

• everyday things like going off your food, feeling anxious or not sleeping;
  • you stop bothering to change your clothes, clean your flat or cook for yourself;
  • mild symptoms – you feel a bit suspicious or fearful or start to worry about people’s motives. You may start to hear voices quietly or occasionally, or find it difficult to concentrate.

So after your doctor stops the treatment (most likely your doctor will continue current treatment for a significant duration) and you start experiencing symptoms mentioned above, just consult your doctor again and hopefully you will never experience any severe relapse of illness again.

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Kind regards

Vikas

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if it comes back it could be mild or severe? There's no saying what it could be

Now since you are aware of the early warning symptoms, assuming that even if you experience a relapse (no one can predict when, how and how much severe), it could be mild because you will recognize the symptoms immediately and will seek immediate intervention by your doctor.

What are your view regarding what I mentioned just now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the medication is working now will it work later the same one? Just increasing the dosage

Yes, in most cases, medicine which is working now will work later on also, whether the dose may be lower, similar or higher.

Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One last question, if I stopped taking my medication and then had to start taking it again at the same level. Could I die?

First of all, please do make sure that you continue taking medicines as per your doctor advice and will only stop if he or she tells you to do so. Stopping a medicine prematurely can result in a relapse and or exacerbation of symptoms.

All Psychiatric medicines are safe at the usually prescribed dose range given by the treating doctor so you need not to worry about it a bit.