Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I want to disappear from life. Not really suicidal although…

Customer Question
I want to disappear...

I want to disappear from life. Not really suicidal although I think about it sometimes. But I won't carry it out. At the same time I would just like a break from responsibility for a while. But I can't I'm in Uni first year my grades are bad and if I don't get my act together I'll fail. I'm feeling really confused with myself. I don't feel like socializing. I've been ignoring people for a while now simply because I have no desire to talk to them and get anxious when they ask me questions.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

When I exercise for a few times a week for about two weeks I don't really worry as much. But I find it hard to be consistent. It all just doesn't feel worth it right now. I ends it helps but I'm not even doing it because I enjoy it. Just for the benefits. Several months now. When I think it's gone it comes back and my girlfriend hates me sometimes because I become a different person when I drink (which I don't do that often) and I can't treat her the way she wants. Truth is I find it hard to truly love and care for someone when you can't love yourself on a consistent basis. Honestly if I could go somewhere and be alone for a while and not have to talk to anyone I'd do that. I just feel drained by spending even little amounts of time with people. I just don't find it pleasurable and I don't really see the point at times.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

No nothing really

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
3/21/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 1 year ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hello and thanks for writing. My name is***** am sorry to read what you wrote - sounds like you are struggling right now and I appreciate your courage in reaching out here. . Has anyone ever talked to you about depression? Being a first year in college, among all the other stresses could certainly through things off enough to lead to depression. Common symptoms of depression include feeling sad, feeling worthless, feeling hopeless, withdrawing from relationships, lacking motivation, change in sleep and eating patterns, problems with concentration and memory, feeling irritable, decreased interest in sex/intimacy, feeling anxious, being irritable, and thoughts about death/harm to self/suicide. Sometimes, people do turn to alcohol to help mask things like depression. Do you see yourself n any of the symptoms I just listed?

I look forward to hearing back from you,

-Leah

Hello, I see this question is still open and wondered if I could provide anything additional? If not, I'd appreciate a rating. this rating won't affect how much you have already deposited but will allow me credit for my time.

Thanks!

-Leah