Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have been diagnosed 2 years ago with Schizophrenia, I am…

I have been diagnosed 2...
I have been diagnosed 2 years ago with Schizophrenia, I am 31 now. Does Schizophrenia worsen as I age?
3/18/2017
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. If you are on a stable medication regimen and have adequate support (family, friends, medical professionals, and finances) than Schizophrenia will typically not worsen as you age. If an individual is not on a good medication regimen than the Schizophrenia could worsen as one ages because the delusions become more ingrained and the disorganized thought process and behavior is more solidified. When one approaches 50-60 years old, there is typically a decrease in one's hallucinations unless the person develops Dementia at a more increased age.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How effective is medication? Percentage wise. Can medication ease the symptoms of schizophrenia?

The atypical antipsychotic medications are typically effective for managing the symptoms of Schizophrenia. They are usually the most effective in lessening the hallucinations, delusions, and disorganized speech/behavior, but the medications are not as effective in helping to treat negative symptoms. There are no real percentage on how often the medications work because there are too many variables in place on the treatment of Schizophrenia such as severity of symptom reduction, length of reduction, etc...Overall though all studies show there is at least some decrease in symptoms with the medication, but as to what degree is dependent on the dose and how you respond to the medication or multiple medications.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When would someone who has Schizophrenia need ECT? Is it when the medication isn't working properly?

Typically ECT would only be recommended if someone fails at least 3-4 medication trials, meaning that the medication regimen does not lessen the symptoms. This is when ECT could be considered as a treatment option.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One last thing, can ECT erase memory? I had a voice speak to me saying it was 'God' and it said i was going to die at a certain age. The voice has gone away by medication but i am still in fear and having thoughts about 'what if'. I want to clear what happened the past 2 years. Can ECT be good for long term memory loss?

Memory loss is not a common side effect from ECT, but it is possible. You have to understand even if memory loss occurs with aggressive treatment, there is no way for practitioners to decide which memories will be lost and which ones will be kept. It is better to focus on just treating the symptoms of Schizophrenia at this point and not concern yourself with the memories of your past because they are just in the past, not your future. Moving forward after ECT will be your goal

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry Dr Z, i have one last question to ask you. When someone with Schizophrenia has a relapse do there symptoms get worse? or is it more manageable?

There is no straight answer for that as it depends on the person. It can be a severe relapse or a mild one, either way it almost always responds well to medications when there is a relapse.