Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have sever anxiety to where I can't sleep or leave my

I have sever anxiety to...
I have sever anxiety to where I can't sleep or leave my house its affecting my relationship with my boyfriend and my kids. Please help me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long does it take to get a message back? My anxiety is really bothering me
3/16/2017
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are having this severe anxiety, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What kind of prescription should I be taking and how do I get one? Should I be seeing a therapist?

The typical first line prescription for someone with anxiety would be a SSRI antidepressant as these are non-addictive and very effective in treating anxiety disorders. Given that most psychiatrists have a long waiting list, I would recommend going to your general practitioner and getting a prescription for a SSRI antidepressant and a referral to a psychiatrist in case you need more specialized treatment. In most cases the SSRI antidepressant will be enough, but it is still better to have a psychiatrist referral in place in case you need it. Individual therapy can also be very effective and I would recommend you also ask about a referral for a psychologist or a therapist for individual therapy. Individual therapy is usually capped by insurance at around 20-30 sessions in a given year, so please be mindful of this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm taking mirtzapine for PTSD and it's supposed to help with anxiety but it's not helping any more. It hasn't in 5 months I've talked to my Dr and he suggested a benzodiapines but I'm not sure if I want to go that route. I was trying to see if this site would help me with a prescription

This is only a question and answer website, we do not provide online prescriptions. Also because a benzodiazepine is a Controlled Substance, they cannot be prescribed online anywhere. You would have to see a psychiatrist face to face to get a prescription for that.

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Thank you very much I'll get a referral to see a psychiatrist