Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I'm type 1 bipolar but I fear im developing schizophrenia…

I'm type 1 bipolar but...
I'm type 1 bipolar but I fear im developing schizophrenia with dazed out episodes in the public , and episodes when im in crowded places and I get insecure . I constantly wipe out my fb friends n family. Im paranoid of bugs typically...had one major episodes of bugs in my bathroom that weren't there.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also need to admit I dont keep or really do my laundry, I cant keep both area of my parents house clean, I can't keep a job , I'm afraid I need to apply for disability. My mom started pointing this all out and my sister.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My last episode was on a date the other night. I got something pressure like in my head it kept me in a psychosis...away from reality. I couldn't move and I just wanted to collapse but I was thinkn what the public around me was thinkn. I wanted to run but I was too dazed .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My memory, my focus , my stress levels are shot often.
2/22/2017
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist

Hi, this is Dr. Mark; I'll be glad to help you with this issue. To give you the best answer, let me ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

Your question is very evocative that there is so much behind the simple few words you write. How long ago were you diagnosed with BD?
Are you being treated for the BD?

If so, have you told the professional about your concern about schizophrenia and the paranoia? Because your age group is indeed one of the times in life where schizophrenia often shows up.
Are you taking medications to help?

Are you interested in psychotherapy?
Are you getting any treatment right now? If so, what type? How is it going?
If not, when was the last treatment? What type of treatment was it? Was it helpful?
Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At 17 I was diagnosed after a bad break up . I've been treated by northville family medical. My medical insurance is a mess. I've been to therapy..wasnt helpful . I seem to be a mess with therapist because I wanna diviate away from their methods. . I'm off meds now , cant sleep. I had a bad break up in January and I overdosed yet again.

Just a couple more questions to make sure I have as complete a picture as possible.

Was there trauma or abuse in your childhood? What about alcohol or dysfunction in your family when you were growing up?

Why are you off the meds?

Have you been hospitalized before? When and how long? Outcome?

Dr. Mark

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mom drinks , dads bipolar .... Each hospitalized stay has been great. Eating right and gym does wonders.

Hi, this is Dr. Mark; I'll be glad to help you with this issue.
First, let me say I can imagine how overwhelming this situation must be for you. You are using all your internal resources just to maintain any equilibrium. I want to take a pause, though, for a moment to just tell you how impressed I am with your ability to keep going amid such overwhelming feelings that you have had to contend with every day. Why do I say that?
You need to understand: our thoughts can go and we can replace them with new ones just like that. But feelings work differently. When they "go away" without being resolved, they just get locked into rooms in our inner selves. They don't actually disappear. And then they leak out in unexpected ways and cause us emotional turmoil and we afterwards don't know where those feelings come from often. And we consider doing whole sorts of life altering things just to get relief.
And so this is why I am impressed: you have kept going and you move forward and you do not give up. The anxiety must seem overwhelming at times but you keep persevering and trying. It is truly impressive and inspiring. So, two things: first, I want you to know that at the end of this posting I'm going to give you a technique for just lowering the anxiety a little when you feel overwhelmed or just "feeling". It is not a cure, but it is something you can do throughout the day to help bring you back to the present moment from the anxiety. And second, that after you do the technique throughout the day, I want you to remember and say to yourself what I just told you: that you have always moved forward and kept going and made the future happen and you will do it again this time. And I'll discuss ways to do that as wisely as possible.

And this is actually the key to my answer to you that you need to consider and think about. You've been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder (BD). It is indeed possible that you have now reached the age where schizophrenia has formed enough to be visible and diagnosable; however, it is also possible that your BD is becoming BD1 with psychotic episode. Either way, though, you need to see a psychiatrist.

A primary care or family physician is not good enough for the severity of your symptoms. So, the first thing, is PLEASE talk with your doctor to get a referral to the best psychiatrist he/she can get you in to see.

I am going to introduce a disorder called Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). I don't know that you have this disorder, but I'm bringing it in because of the treatment protocols for it that will help you even if the true diagnosis is BD or schizophrenia. But again, you need psychiatric evaluation as well.
Because BPD treatment now has so many good resources available compared to PTSD. But the first element you have to get to is: it is clear from the brief information you gave and the emotion packed into it that there is a truth you need to get to if you are going to find relief.

That truth is that relief, your personal salvation, is not going to come THROUGH YOUR FEELINGS!
You're not going to FEEL your way toward feeling better. Yes, that sounds like a contradiction. But, the key for you is going to be whether you are going to be able to learn to approach life from something other than feeling. Because feelings are too overwhelming. They keep changing. And they are telling you different things all the time. And that gets overwhelming and the anxiety then begin to take over. This is the way feelings are for you. So, life can be good for you but only if you have the patience and willingness to LEARN how to approach it from a different part of you than how you feel. So that you aren't always so often overwhelmed by what you're feeling and searching desperately for relief.
And you need help in learning how to manage your feelings that were shaped during your youth which was so difficult. For you, then, to learn how to approach life from something other than feeling, the best type of therapy is Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). I want you to learn the skills that DBT offers. So, start with the following website put together by people who aren't psychologists but who have gone through DBT themselves. Try as many of the self-help options they have. Mindfulness is particularly important for you and a good place to start there. Here's their web address:
http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/
If you connect with DBT, then find a therapist in your area who works with DBT. Even better, find a DBT group to go along together with individual therapy. So yes, therapy is the step on your road you may now be ready for. If you don't have a good referral source for yourself, here is the web address for Psychology Today's therapist directory. You can sort by zip codes and when you see someone who seems like they might be helpful (you can see a photo of the therapist!) look at the listing and see if they list anything about personality disorders or PTSD in their orientations and what they work with. And then ask them if they don't do DBT therapy if they know someone in the area they trust they could refer you to.

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

If you need more resources here's a commercial website. I don't like their therapist directory very much because its format seems a little hard sell to me. But they have a chat group that you might want to join:
http://www.borderlinepersonalitytoday.com/main/

Randi Krieger wrote a book you will find in the library though it's very popular and may be checked out. So you may want to buy it online. It is called Stop Walking on Eggshells. She also has a wonderful online group called the Oz Online Community for Family Members. You need to really get to know her resources because they'll help you with what the people in your life you care for are going through when your feelings are overwhelming you. She's a very nice person, too. Here's the web page:

http://www.bpdcentral.com/support/email.shtml

You're a survivor and in my book a champion, so try to use the techniques to your best advantage. You've made it through very rough waters in your life. You've come to the DBT world so you're extremely fortunate. But remember: quick relief is NOT your friend; it is part of the problem. Always remind yourself of that. And when you feel like you just have to do something to get quick relief, remember what Dr. Mark told you and go back to your truth. And then continue with the slow methodical work that being the good human being you are requires.
I wish you the very, very best!
Okay, now I am going to copy for you here instructions on a therapeutic protocol called Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR). It's really quite easy to do almost anywhere. My patients suffering from anxiety and overwhelming feelings, when I teach them PMR at first are amazed how simple it is and that it is a psychological protocol. It was first used in the 1920s! Since then, of course, it has been refined and many studies have been done showing its effectiveness. You will practice PMR at first when you don't have anxiety so that you will be familiar with it. I want you to practice the PMR at least 5-6 times before an attack. Why? Because when you're in the throes of overwhelming feelings, you will only remember to do something you are very familiar with it. So practicing 5-6 times is really a minimum.

I want to stress the importance of breathing as well. Part of the physiology of what is happening to you in anxiety and overwhelming feelings is that your breathing is getting shallower. This reduces the oxygen in your blood to your brain. That increases the anxiety reaction, which strengthens the attack and you are in a vicious cycle! Not good. So breathing is the primary tool. I have found in my practice that learning breathing techniques can be helpful. But some of my patients are not interested in learning more than one thing at the beginning, so I have found that just reminding you to BREATHE deeply at the same time you are doing PMR is almost as good. If you are willing to take a yoga class and learn breathing techniques, that's the best. But, breathing deeply with your PMR will help.

So, we're ready for learning PMR. I want you to print my instructions below my signature and have a copy in each of the rooms of your home where you may be when you have an attack. And again, you need to practice this easy technique at least 5-6 times as soon as you can. It needs to become as natural to you as breathing. Ah, remember breathing?
My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. After finding a quiet place and several free minutes to practice progressive muscle relaxation, sit or lie down and make yourself comfortable.
2. Begin by tensing all the muscles in your face. Make a tight grimace, close your eyes as tightly as possible, clench your teeth, even move your ears up if you can. Hold this for the count of eight as you inhale.
3. Now exhale and relax completely. Let your face go completely lax, as though you were sleeping. Feel the tension seep from your facial muscles, and enjoy the feeling.
4. Next, completely tense your neck and shoulders, again inhaling and counting to eight. Then exhale and relax.
5. Continue down your body, repeating the procedure with the following muscle groups:
o chest
o abdomen
o entire right arm
o right forearm and hand (making a fist)
o right hand
o entire left arm
o left forearm and hand (again, making a fist)
o left hand
o buttocks
o entire right leg
o lower right leg and foot
o right foot
o entire left leg
o lower left leg and foot
o left foot
6. for the shortened version, which includes just four main muscle groups:
o face
o neck, shoulders and arms
o abdomen and chest
o buttocks, legs and feet
Quickly focusing on each group one after the other, with practice you can relax your body like ‘liquid relaxation’ poured on your head and it flowed down and completely covered you. You can use progressive muscle relaxation to quickly de-stress any time.
What You Need:
• A comfortable place.
• Some privacy.
• A few minutes.
Again:

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist