Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am currently going thorough a difficult time as I am

unable to leave my house.i...
i am currently going thorough a difficult time as I am unable to leave my house.i am scared to go outside even to the clothes line or letter box.
do you have any suggestion as to where I start to get help.
I have been told I have depression and agrophopia.
2/5/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thanks for writing. My name is***** am sorry you are struggling right now. Are you taking any medications to help you through this and is your primary care doctor aware of the severity of your anxiety and depression? It would be quite possible that the doctor would be willing to start you on an antidepressant (or modify current meds if they aren't optimal) to help with both the anxiety and depression. If your primary care doctor is not available, you could search for visiting doctor services that could come to your home to help assess and prescribe.

On top of that medication, online counseling would also be a good option for you or you could hunt to see if there are any therapists that offer services your home, although those can be hard to find. If that dos prove too difficult or unobtainable, you can try some "self-directed" treatments for agoraphobia like this one... https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/overcoming-agoraphobia-lovell-1999.pdf and http://www.anxietycoach.com/agoraphobiatreatment.html and https://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/1572248912.

Let me know if I can help further,

Leah

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi leah

my gp is aware of this,i have cancelled many apt with her due to not being able to get there.

I am told I just got to change my mind space and get on with it.which I find very hard to do.

no at the current time I am not taking any medication,I just feel so lost

and there are no doctors in my area that will come to my home I told I have to get to the clinic

but thank anyway....I just feel so alone and lost.i think I just go back to bed,and see.

You really can try some of the self-help stuff to work on exposing yourself to the fear of leaving your house. Baby steps and small challenges - seek to conquer things minute by minute, stage by stage, and you will make progress. While it feels so far from achievable right now, following a program which teaches you how to incrementally expose yourself (while learning to tolerate that flood of anxiety) to leaving the house will work! With the right approach, progress should actually come fairly quickly. So give it a try as a place to start. Soon enough, you'll be knocking down barriers in your life and gaining confidence. So don't lose hope and don't lose faith in yourself to be able to accomplish things that will give you back your freedom. Gotta start somewhere and writing today showed you are ready to make change :)

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi Leah,i do have some of those self help book you have talked about,i know I need to get to see my gp about other medical things but I just scared,so as you say baby steps.thanks you.

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker