LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

I'm on Paxil, but have always had negative thoughts. Do I

Customer Question

I'm on Paxil, but have always had negative thoughts. Do I need to see someone other then a psycologist?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, the doctor I see monitors
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I've always been like this. Get very nervous in stressful situations. One I was under such stress that I had trouble speaking.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for writing to us. My name is***** you tell me what dose of Paxil you take and for how long you've been taking it? Also, you mention a psychologist. Have you ever tried counseling for these thoughts and if so, did you find it helpful?

I look forward to thinking this through with you.

-Leah

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
30 mg a day. Probably 10 years. I think counseling would be helpful in learning how to develope confidence in myself.

If you have never added counseling to your treatment plan, it can be lifechanging. There can be something magical about opening up to someone else whose job is to be your advocate, help you explore the way you think, feel and behave, and also gently push you. As far as negative thoughts, therapists that practice cognitive behavioral therapy are trained in helping people identify these thoughts and also hrlping you think of things in a new, fresh, more objective way that allows for freedom and growth. There may not be a better person than a counselor, either, to help you gain the confidence you feel you lack. http://Therapists.psychologytoday.com A great place to start your search.

Hey, any additional questions? If not, I'd appreciate you rating. It won;t affect what you have spent so far but will get me credit for time spent. Thanks!

-Leah