Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

OKMH126130 I have a brain fog it's been stressful and I was…

OKMH126130 Hello I have a...

OKMH126130 Hello I have a brain fog it's been stressful and I was not giving attention to my health one night 5 nights ago I smoked hash and I have been experiencing severe brain fog and sensitive to sounds I get shock physically when i have a sudden sound. Iv been taking care of myself in terms of diet and exercise still overweight but working myself out. My question is if I eat walnuts coconut oil and berries will that fasten my recovery I am also 22

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/26/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thanks for writing to us. My name is***** is very unlikely that the symptoms you are experiencing are from smoking the hash 5 days ago. Physical effects from hash rarely would last beyond hours especially is you just used this one time. Is that your concern? If so, it sounds like you are having some guilt and remorse over this and perhaps this is leading you to feel anxious and overly aware of your body. Eating coconut oil, berries and walnuts will not likely impact these symptoms nor impact the anxiety you are feeling right now. However, simply knowing that no permanent damage was done from this and you should just stop over-thinking it may help calm you enough to stop worrying.

In general, do you consider yourslef a worrier or anxious person?

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both anxious and worrier I mean how can I not over think this
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plus I once had the same feeling from marijuana. But it went away I don't recall the time it took to go away. But now I don't understand I'm eating a healthy diet for 5 days and exercising still tired still brain fogged and can think straight

Hi, thanks for your reply. Being anxious is probably the main player here in why this is causing you such concern. Feeling foggy can be a physical manifestation of anxiety. As far as this concern, the best way to get over this is just remind yourself that this is your anxiety alarm firing and you are going to be okay. Remind yourself that this feeling will lift, just like it did when you tried marijuana, as your brain gets bored worrying about it.

In general, if you know anxiety is something you struggle with where worries tend to make you feel stuck a lot, for one, you should avoid drugs, alcohol and caffeine that may stimulate this anxiety. Also, you should go to your primary care doctor to discuss this. Some medications in the antidepressant/SSRI class specifically treat anxiety so it is probably worthwhile that you consider taking a medicine that can help you keep ahead of the anxiety. There is also the benzodiazepine medications, which if used as needed and as prescribed, can help when anxiety is particularly bad. The benzos are being prescribe does and less, however, because of their addictive nature. Your primary care doctor should have good insight into how to help you with your anxiety.

Lastly, it is important to understand that some anxiety is a natural component of of life as it is our brain's way of helping us notice and avoid danger. But sometimes, our anxiety alarms can be overly sensitive and cause us to worry when there is no true danger. This is probably happening to you right now because your anxiety alarm is pretty sensitive. When that alarm is going off, we naturally take actions to fight or flee from the anxiety and unfortunately, those natural responses actually can reinforce anxiety by sending a message to your brain that there is something to fear. A counselor can help walk you through the many coping mechanisms for anxiety as well as help you understand your own thought process in order to think more objectively and less emotionally. For instance, handling this situation from a fact standpoint - "One time use of hash will not permanently affect me" rather than "The hash impacted my brain and it may never get better" can help keep the anxiety alarm from blaring unnecessarily loudly. So in addition to medications, working with someone trained to treat anxiety should provide you relief both in the immediate and also in the future. Consider finding counselors here... http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/

So for now, don't let yourself ruminate on things that are not factual. Instead, start to ignore these worries when they pop up reminding yourself that this is your anxiety trying to control you and you won't let it. Also, keep nurturing your health with exercise and good food and sleep.

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker