Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing psychosis and want to ask…

I'm not sure if...

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing psychosis and want to ask about it

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I haven't been seeing my psychiatrist regularly I don't take my meds because they make me very tired

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Other than a psychiatric history, no

1/15/2017
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. What makes you feel like you are experiencing psychosis?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I feel like my boss knows what I'm thinking and what I'm about to say. We were having a conversation and I heard her say what I was about to say before I finished saying it. It doesn't help that I have used psychic chats on work computers before so I feel like she is getting this information from a psychic. I also do her things that I do with one co-worker (like she's imitating me) and when I was going to meet with her on Friday, I felt like she knew I was going to run late, like she knew I was going to be stuck in traffic. I've also had incidences where I feel like people on the bus know who I am and things about my life even though I don't know them

Okay, so these types of thoughts could be considered delusions of reference and/or delusions of paranoia, but I have to ask if someone told you that these beliefs are not possible and that they could just be you being worried and/or coincidences would you be open to those types of explanations?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure what to think. I think its too many coincidences

Delusions are firmed fixed false beliefs meaning that you cannot accept other more rational explanations for them, so in your brief description than it can be possibly considered a delusion that you are describing. You have to understand no one can read your thoughts or know things that will happen to you before they happen (e.g. being stuck in traffic), as that is impossible. If you can believe that these thoughts are not rational and that there are other reasonable explanations for them than they would not be a delusion

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not even psychics?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have experiences with this before so its not completely new to me but this seems very real

There is no evidence that psychics provide accurate information as most of their information is speculative and simple guess work. But believing in psychics does not correspond to a delusion if that is your concern. Delusions will often feel real, but it is a false belief

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, how many more questions do I get? and are you familiar with antipsychotics?

I am familiar with antipsychotic medications. I can answer more questions for you on this topic

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are the antipsychotic shots less sedating?

Yes they are because while the shot will be sedating at first (usually for only 24-48 hours) it will not be long-standing like with the oral medications. Of course this depends on the medications being used as Abilify and Haldol are considered less sedating than Seroquel and Zyprexa as an example.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is it always necessary to take meds to deal with psychiatric problems such as attributing meaning to situations that didn't have any to you in the first place? this is something I'm experiencing which I think could be a symptom

Unfortunately delusions are not something that typically responds well to medications so if you are experiencing delusions the best type of treatment would be long-term Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). You do not necessarily needs medications.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what are the pros and cons of seeing a psychologist versus a psychiatrist for these sorts of things?

Seeing a psychologist is more expensive and takes a longer time to be effective as therapy provides benefits gradually over the period of months to years. A psychiatrist is cheaper as you only need a prescription and typically psychiatrists only want to see you once every three months, but medications can produce side effects

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is a psychologist better trained than a resident psychiatrist (meaning a psychiatrist fresh out of medical school) to provide therapy of this kind?

Yes, only around 15-20 percent of psychiatrists provide therapy as part of their practice and it is no longer an extensive requirement to be trained in therapy in medical school so for therapy a psychologist is better

I hope this answers all your questions, please feel free to rate me as that is the only way I can get credit for helping you today. Thank you

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist