Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

OKMH112211 POSTANSWER ive been stressing out for weeks now.

OKMH112211 POSTANSWER ive been stressing...

OKMH112211 POSTANSWER ive been stressing out for weeks now. I was working as a caregiver and my patient died day after christmas. My parents are mving out of california and my grandma needs to stay in california because of her medical condition. I was paying my boyfriend's rent but now, even I do not have a plce to stay. I asked my boyfriend if I could stay with him and the landlord is asking for more money. Ive been stressing out because my grandma doesn't have a okace to stay. Apartments in Los Angeles cost a fortune and my boyfriend is only working part-time on mimimum wage, I do not know what to do anymore. I want to give up and just call it quits, my head has been hurting the for days because of this. what should I do???

1/12/2017
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional

Good morning and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

Oh dear, sweet soul...no wonder why you are overwhelmed...this is a crazy amount of stress!!! Jeeez!

I don't have all the answers for your situation but do have a couple of thoughts....

Does your grandma qualify for any state services? As a senior with medical complications, she can apply for housing and be moved to the top of the list. I understand how you feel it is your responsibility to care for her as your parents have left the state so I would see if Medicare/Medicaid covers the cost for caregivers as well. This would, at least, somewhat reduce the amount of care you need to provide.

You should not be paying your boyfriend's rent. He needs to take care of himself. If the two of you are living together, everything should be divided evenly. If he only works part time, he should grab an additional job to assist with the financial stress. This is not acceptable any other way.

I understand you are completely overwhelmed by grief and sadness over the loss of your patient. Does this mean you are without work as well?

I love the expression, "When in the middle of hell, keep walking...." Please know many parts of your situation is temporary and should change in due time. In the meanwhile, please try your hardest to take good care of yourself--you are all you have, after all. Please try some deep breathing, read some uplifting books and plow forward. You sound incredibly strong and I know this, too, shall pass.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Therapist Leslie