How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LeahMSWuofm Your Own Question
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 593
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
LeahMSWuofm is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister's mental health is rapidly declining after my

Customer Question

My sister's mental health is rapidly declining after my mother fell ill and died this past November, but she lives alone in a women's shelter program in Jersey City NJ and I live 1500 miles away in Kansas City MO. I don't know what to do. I've offered for her to move in with me in KC, but she declines every time and even if she did move in, there isn't much I could do for her since I'm usually away for work anyway. Are there home visitation programs that psychologists do? And is there anyway that it could be a government program because I don't have the money to pay for a psychologist to visit her at her home.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for writing to us. My name is***** am sorry to hear your sister is struggling and can understand how much you are worried about her given your distance. I am also sorry to hear about your Mom's passing. Most cities/counties have programs to help meet the mental health needs of their homeless/high risk populations. I would definitely contact the shelter and ask to talk to her case manager about ensuring she is plugged into a local community mental health program. They may make sure to get her permission before disclosing info to you, so be aware of this before calling. These programs are for those who are uninsured/underinsured or have Medicaid.

You could also attempt to call some local agencies that assist the underinsured with mental health care in that area to see what they recommend. Perhaps being proactive and helping her schedule an intake appointment would ensure she at least takes a step in terms of getting evaluated and establishing care. Try these options... Also consider their ACT program

I hope this helps!! And I really hope her case manager in the shelter is already trying to be proactive in terms of attending to her mental health, but it is possible she is not revealing her struggle to people because she is fearful of maintaining her housing (or for some other reason).

Let me know if you have additional questions,


Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I noticed this question was still open and wanted to remind you I am here to help! If you are all set or don't have additional questions, I'd appreciate a rating. Rating me won't affect your payment amount but it will give me credit for my time. Thanks and let me know if I you want to chat more :)