Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My sun is 25 years old .About 24 days ago he started being

Customer Question
aggressive, talk about unreal things...
my sun is 25 years old .About 24 days ago he started being aggressive, talk about unreal things, and laughs once or twice without any reason, his doctor said that his case is psychosis episode. however he is improving we noticed that, his doctor prescriped for him a medicine called risperdal. he is now doesnot show any aggressiveness and he cooperate much beter. plese do you think that medicine in addition to CBT would heel him and return to live normally
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes , i have seen a doctor and he is taking a medicine called resperdal which is an anti psychosis medicine.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: he was under a stress and pressure , he had an accident and dammaged his beloved BMW, and was under the pressure of talking 16 credits at the same time for this semester
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: only 24 days, before that he was totally normal. Yes he has hernea and stopped going to the health club, which made him sad too.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
1/8/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. You said that he currently is improving and not showing any significant symptoms like he did 24 days ago, has he been taking the Risperdal since he saw the doctor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he saw the doctor, 4 days ago. and yes he has been talking the medicine

That is good news that he is taking the medication and it is working for him. It is very possible that your son may have had a Brief Psychotic Episode due to the stress that you described and this will be only temporary meaning with long-term therapy and a short course of the Risperdal he will be fine and back to himself again. The other possibility is that he may have a long-term psychotic disorder like Schizophrenia where he would have to take the Risperdal for the rest of his life to lessen his symptoms. Therapy is not needed for treating long-term psychotic disorders. So overall at this point I would recommend taking the medication for at least 6 months and starting CBT therapy, then if he has no more episodes in 6 months his doctor can slowly taper off the medication to see if his symptoms return or not. If they do not return than this was just a reaction to the stress, but if they do return than he has a chronic psychotic disorder like Schizophrenia and will have to take the medication for the rest of his life.

Hello I just wanted to check in to see if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, I would ask that you please rate me so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you and have a good rest of your day

Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist