Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

I am having some trouble. This is very embarrassing and I

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** and I am having some trouble. This is very embarrassing and I cnt even talk to my therapist about this face to face because I feel weird about it. I know that this section of the website is for setting up consultations but I really need help. Ok so here I go: I have been diagnosed with OCD when I was young and have had it all. I havnt masturbated in over 3 years and the reason is something that bothers me. I always feel like something changes in me when I did it whether I felt unsocial, different, or weird in any certain way. I have avoided it because I am scared that I will feel that way and go back on things that I have worked so hard to conquer. Ik it's OCD and the correct thing to do is fight it by masturbating to conquer the fear but I just need assurance that that's what I need to do. Please help me. Thanks so much
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

Hello John, thank you for reaching out to us. John masturbation is a normal, healthy expression of our sexuality and a totally acceptable option for release of sexual tension and experiencing pleasure. It sounds like 3 years ago you associated masturbation with something bad happening and now you are avoiding it all together. Is this correct? The only way to really overcome this negative thought is yes, to go ahead and let yourself masturbate and then look for the evidence of whether or not your fears were facts. And I don't mean go by your feelings which can be brewed in anxiety or fears but look for EVIDENCE that your anxiety that something bad will result from your masturbation is indeed based in FACT. Oftentimes we treat our fears and anxieties as truth, when most of the time they are not. Also, I would like to encourage you to consider talking to your therapist when you are ready.maybe starting here to talk about this will help. As therapists we do not judge or get easily embarrassed by human behavior.........it is our business. And human sexuality with all of its complexities and forms is certainly a very big part of human nature. I hope this answers your query and you find this helpful. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW., CASAC