Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I had lung surgery 2 months ago. Why did I feel this was one

I had lung surgery 2...

I had lung surgery 2 months ago. Why did I feel this was one of the best days of my life. This is not normal. And I am not saying this because it saved my life, but because of the treatment and everything I experienced. Has this happened to anyone before? I felt like even though I know everyone was doing there job I got attention and did not have responsibility for that time period. Even though I was a bit afraid and had pain and nausea after. I feel like I loved that experience. What is wrong with me?

12/29/2016
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. Thank you for your patience. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello, I understand why you are concerned about your reaction after your surgery. But as a therapist I do not judge behavior, I try to understand the meaning behind our behaviors. Perhaps it would be more helpful to think about your reaction this way. Maybe it was a much needed time when you could receive attention, nurturing, rest, tender loving care, freedom from day to day demands and roles and just simply focus on what you needed and wanted to get better. Are you usually the caretaker of others in your life instead of taking care of yourself? Do a lot of people depend on you? Do you usually have a lot of responsibilities to tend to? I am glad you are okay after your surgery but maybe this was an even bigger opportunity for you to take a look at your life and see if there are some adjustments that may need to be made. Everyone needs the good care and attention you received after your surgery.......... it sounds like that is what you loved! does this make sense? I am here for you, let me know if you have any other questions. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Thanks. Yes I am the caretaker and have lots of responsibility. Also, growing up my mother had bipolar and had no father, so had to depend on myself a lot. I dont even feel like my husband was there for me as I would have desired. My cousin came to help. She made me breakfast and gave me water and medicine. I liked that. She also helped with the kids. I feel my attention at home was very short lived and would have liked it to last longer. But I loved my hospital stay and since I am young the doctor took my tube out and sent me home the next day. I wish it could have been longer. I just loved the day of the surgery like all the doctors and nurses were there for me and taking care of me. Then when they brought me to my room I couldn't move and they put me on the bed. They kept checking on me. I just loved it. You are right something needs to change in my life if this was one of the greatest moments. That seems pretty sad

Yes, so Jennifer start looking for moments when you can do something nice for yourself, take a warm bubble bath, sleep in an extra 5-10 minutes and enjoy it, buy yourself something just because, think about what makes you happy and try to bring more of it into your life. You matter, your needs getting met is important. I wish you all the best and hope that some positive much needed caring people come your way soon! Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Please take a moment to rate my service to you, i would truly appreciate it. Thank you, Linda

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Thanks so much!!! I hope so too. I do feel I take care of myself. I think what is missing is from others. Not sure if I am exaggerated about what I want or if I am being reasonable. Thanks for your help!
Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC