Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I wanted to know how can I distinguish did my gf leave

because of suspected "psychosis" or...
I wanted to know how can I distinguish did my gf leave because of suspected "psychosis" or she just doesn't wanna be with me I haven't heard anything from her since November 17th this is out of character
I'm so distraught it's Christmas no call text or anything
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/25/2016
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
Hi
Could u please answer my question I'm so much pain
What were her traits or behavior that made you feel that it could be psychosis ?
Regards
Mom's before the breakup here and there she would keep thinking me and ppl in my family was talking about her on Facebook and making fake profiles about her but none of it was true recently she sprinkled salt alllllllllllll around the house one time we was walking down the street and she started say yes excitedly I said what are you happy about she said nothing and also when we had our last argument which is a non factor because that never changes us we didnt talk for two days I called her on the third day she said she needs time and space because the arguing wasn't good and when she comes back she wants a fresh start her family tried to ask her about us because this is abnormal she said don't speak of her name done speak of her name I went to her mom house and banged on the window she saw me and act like she saw a ghost they turned off all the lights and her mom said she wasn't in there event hough I just saw her her brother said she was acting like he didn't know her anymore this was beginning December he asked her what's up between the two of u she said it's over if she doesn't know by now it's over her brother also said she sprinkled salt outside if her mother's window and she didn't want to go get the pizza from the delivery man because it's demons out there this is so weird to me the last time we texted 3v3rything w a s good and then she just start ignoring me when ppl tried to put her on the phone she said just tell her I'm sleep and y would she say when she comes back she wants a b fresh start
We n3veerrrrr. Not talked this long tge whole six years
lastly my daughter had surgery November 8th she was in the hospital the whole time with us spend the night the whole time she didn't sleep the whole time she asked me to stop reading her mind and she said she gotta make sure my daughter was safe
Hello?
I want this expert opted out. Please look for another expert who can answer my question.
Camille-Mod
HI, your question is now open to other Experts.
Thank you
How likely will I get a text or call today I can't deal smh
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

Hello and thank you for using Justanswer. May I ask, with this woman how long has she been acting in this odd/bizarre manner? How old is she? And currently does she use any illicit substances to excess?

No a few months ago she stopped smoking weed and drank in liquor she said she wanted to change her life around she started acting weird with the social media stuff in September she's 23 and I haven't talked to her since November 17th at alllllllllllll even though we have been together for six years I haven't heard a peep our of her all this time
The other stuff started happening beginning November

Given her age and the odd statements she is making regarding facebook, reading minds, demons, and etc... it does sound like she may be having significant delusions which could be a precursor to Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia typically starts to manifest in women around the ages of 23-29, so she is in the proper age range. I would say her paranoia is what is causing her to not talk to you as she has incorporated you into her delusions unfortunately

Eventhough the laet time we actually talked november 17th she was acting normal..So how likely is it that she will talk to me without meds or will she ever talk to me without mess I talked to another doctor on here and she said her family needs to give her help but that won't EVER HAPPEN j came to that conclusion last night I'm gonna ultimately gave to be the one to report she's not getting any help but I don't want them to think of me as a snitch how likely is it she will contact me withough meds and do these dillusions go away

It is very unlikely that she will talk to you without medications if she has truly incorporated you into here delusions. Delusions from Schizophrenia get worse over time and will last for the rest of her life unfortunately. There may be periods where she is asymptiomatic, but these are brief if they occur.

Omg this is crazyyyy sp how come she seemed normal the last time we talked and then after that she just start ignoring me both times I went to her mother house t hey said she wasn't in there event hough one of her brothers said that she was do she even recognizes the time we haven't spoke do she realizes it's Christmas do she know how much she's hurting me like I can't believe this what is a person to do

If this is truly Schizophrenia, and the only way to diagnose such a disorder is through a face to face evaluation, than early signs of this disorder come and go, but after 1-3 years the disorder has taken full hold of the individual. So if what you are describing is accurate, it is still early in the disorder for this woman and that is why she has longer periods where she is without symptoms

Ok say this is psychosis do she realize the pain she is putting me through and also do she remember the relationship we had

I highly doubt she will understand the emotional pain she is putting you through as she considers you part of her paranoid delusions. As for remembering the relationship, she does remember it, but the memories can be distorted to fit her level of paranoia.

I really can't believe this she was my best friend will disease whether it be psychosis or schizophrenia will it get out of control to the point the family has no choice but to get her help or it could just stay at a minimal

Its too early to say for certain as there are different levels of severity of the disorder. Most likely she will need medication to fully function in society, but until she is either a danger to others, danger to herself, or incapable of taking care of herself (poor hygiene, not eating, etc....) than the choice to receive medication is on her alone.

But what I'm saying will it get to a point her family has no choice but to give her meds like will it get out of control?

Unfortunately it is too early to say, it is possible that she may meet the criteria for forced medication if her symptoms worsen, but she has not reached the apex of how this disorder will progress. Some patients will maintain their delusions, but can still be high functioning and that may be her. Or there are other patients that are so acutely psychotic that they are unable to communicate, dress themselves, clean themselves, etc... and that can apply to her as well. Right now it is early in the disorder, so knowing how it will progress is impossible to say at this time. After 1-3 years though than you will get a better idea of what level of care she needs. I cannot predict the future and the disorder varies from person to person.

That's sad I don't have no wayy of finding anything out smh ok so if she get meds a month from now or even 5 years from now would she remember how I kept trying to reach out to her and will she try to reach out to me

I cannot predict how she will react, so I cannot say she will reach out to you or not. If she does get medications though, she will return to the woman you once knew and she should be able to remember the relationship as you remember it.

Ok so if I report her family to the right authorities do they immediately come and n take her away to get treatment or do she have to still agree

That is more of a legal question and it really depends on what jurisdiction you are coming from. For instance in California, and most of the United States there is a requirement of a court order to force someone to have medications and this typically takes weeks to months to even get a hearing. So depending on where you are, I would advise asking a lawyer that question

Ok depression is another factor in this so can psychosis with depression be mixed up with schizophrenia or thats two different things

Yes there is a disorder called Depressive Disorder with Psychotic Features, and this can appear like Schizophrenia. The difference here is that the psychotic symptoms are tied with the depression, so once the depression is resolved than the psychosis goes away. This means that it is temporary and will resolve with proper treatment, typically a combination of medications and therapy. Depressive Disorder with Psychotic Features has a much better prognosis than Schizophrenia

Now the depressive disorder with psychotic disorder can that one go away on its own if so how long does that one last??

Yes it can go away on its own, but that does not happen often, usually treatment is best. There is no time frame for that disorder as it only depends on when the depressive symptoms go away. For some people, depression can resolve in a matter of weeks to months, and for others it takes years. There is just no way of putting a timeframe

One last question can this depressive disorder make her become isolated from me if so why

Well depression causes people to isolate in general because either they are ashamed, feel too much sadness so they push everyone away, or they have no motivation to be around others or do anything. With her possible psychotic features though, the paranoia could cause her to isolate from you

Ok thank u hopefully she gets some help soon

You are most welcome. I hope she gets some help soon as well.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating before you sign off. Thank you and Happy Holidays

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist