Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have schizophrenia symptom of hypersensitive/delusional…

Customer Question
I have schizophrenia symptom of...
I have schizophrenia symptom of hypersensitive/delusional feelings about my ego or personality. I feel like my personality keeps changing and that I must check my personality so that it stays the way I like. I feel like my mbti, enneagram, DSM-5 and etc keeps changing or that I move to a past personality so forth... My psychiatrist says that I don't have any personality disorder nor do I have dissociative personality disorder. Then how can my feelings regarding personality change be explainded?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
12/13/2016
Mental Health Professional: Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist replied 1 year ago
Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist

Thanks for your question, I'm happy to help you today. Of course, the best and only way to obtain a diagnosis in through in person evaluation, and if your psychiatrist says you don't have a personality disorder or dissociative disorder, then it sounds to me like what you might be suffering from are symptoms of anxiety. You could always seek a second opinion from another psychiatrist in person. But if you were schizophrenic or delusional, you likely wouldn't be as aware of these symptoms nor have such insight into the way you are feeling. Perhaps you feel like your personality keeps changing but it's just simply your emotional response to internal or external stimuli. Because you mention mbti and DSM, etc, I am also wondering if perhaps you are exacerbating your symptoms by checking and self-diagnosing -- remember that self-diagnosis can make symptoms worse, and perhaps this is what is causing you to feel like your personality is shifting. And also remember that tests like mbti are not 100% accurate -- the responses you give can change (especially if you are self-administering the test) depending on how you are feeling. In any case, I would advise addressing the symptoms of anxiety with your psychiatrist and perhaps consider seeking cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) to help address the thought patterns that underlie these feelings and symptoms. Please let me know if you have additional questions. I wish you the best.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply.
Would practicing mindfulness meditation adds more chain of thoughts and worsen my symptoms, or would be beneficial?

In my opinion, in your situation, I think it would be advisable to learn to practice mindfulness with the help of a qualified teacher who can help you stay on track and avoid the temptation to sink into feelings of anxiety. In general, mindfulness is helpful for almost everyone, but since you do seem to have a tendency of anxious thoughts, I feel that mindfulness and simply trying to sit and observe your thoughts alone might make things worse. You might try practicing with the help of a guided audio, if you do prefer to practice alone (you can find such tracks on Youtube, for example, just to help get you started). Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've heard that mindfulness meditation sort of purify the personality through allowing everything deep inside one's mind to come up to the surfice. Is this true? If so, wouldn't meditation makes me more confused for a while when I'm confused already due to schizophrenia symptoms?

It does indeed allow everything come to the surface -- but I don't think it would necessarily make you more confused (it is possible but it depends on how you are feeling that particular day). This is why I suggest practicing with a qualified teacher if you do indeed want to give it a try. But I think having a bit more structure and guidance is more useful for someone with your symptoms, which is why I do think that something that promotes relaxation (such as guided hypnosis or guided meditation) would be more helpful for alleviating the symptoms of anxiety that you seem to be experiencing.

As a side note, I came across this clinical study, which supports what we are discussing -- you may find some of it useful -- you might consider trying a practice like yoga, which would give you something concrete to focus on and help you quiet the mental "chatter", so to speak, rather than meditation alone. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3410202/

Please leave a rating when you have a moment. Best of luck.

PS -- most particularly, I do think this section of the article is useful to consider:

Yoga as a therapy in psychosis, specifically schizophrenia, has been demonstrated to be feasible and effective as an add-on therapy. Most of the studies have used a combination of asanas and pranayama, avoiding meditation. The effects are multifaceted, including reduction of psychotic symptoms and depression, improving cognition, increasing quality of life, and producing neurobiological changes, such as increased oxytocin levels.

Further research is needed into the exact mechanisms of action of yoga in producing the above changes, as well as overcoming the barriers in reaching yoga to the majority of patients suffering from this devastating illness.

Best wishes.

Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist