How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Linda D. Your Own Question
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 669
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Linda D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter (almost 12) can sometimes be emotional but the

Customer Question

Hi, my daughter (almost 12) can sometimes be emotional but the last 5 days have been very tough. She's had 3 intense crying spells, she's having trouble getting to sleep. She says she feels sad and overwhelmed and is having trouble concentrating. We were in a car accident (hit from behind) 8 days ago. It was a hard hit but we all were o.k. Could the accident be related to what's going on with her emotionally? She doesn't seem like herself. Is it time for a visit to her pediatrician?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No, none
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

I am so sorry that you both had to experience the car accident recently. A twelve year old child can definitely be traumatized by such an event and yes, I would recommend that you make a call to her pediatrician and get his/her thoughts. The accident could have triggered many fears/anxieties in her such as the reality that something bad could happen to you and then she wouldn't have you to take care of her. If she already is pretty emotional/sensitive she may need to talk to a professional about what is going on with her. Her school should have a school counselor who would be trained in identifying if she was traumatized or is internalizing anxiety or depression. But I would start with her pediatrician. Does this make sense? Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

If you no longer need my services I would appreciate you taking a moment to rate my service to you as this is the only way we are compensated by Just Answer. Thank you very much, I truly appreciate it and wish your daughter all the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC