Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

I think I have ADHD and I would like to seek possible

Customer Question

I think I have ADHD and I would like to seek possible treetment and/or medication.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have not seen a doctor about it. I've taken medication before but I havent been perscribed anything. Im perscribed with cannabios for my scoliosis and that helps a bit but thats only at night when I use it to sleep.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I'm really interested in fidning some type pf medication that might help me that I could take consistenly. I feel the symptoms are really effecting my life now that I'm at a point where I have a lot of resposibilites.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, ADHD is absolutely treatable with medication. I will give you two approaches and you after information yourself you should talk to your physician who can prescribe the medication for you. If you do have trouble sleeping at night you should make sure to let your doctor know so that he can decide the best time of day for you to take the medication and whether you can handle the stimulant property to some of the medications available.

Stimulant medicines

Most often, stimulant medicines are used to treat ADHD. These medicines are effective for people of all ages. But more research is needed on how adults respond. In general, stimulant medicines improve symptoms in about 70 out of 100 people who have ADHD. There are often quick and dramatic improvements in behavior. Many of these medications can be abused and adults can becoem dependent on them as well. However, taking medicine for ADHD doesn't increase the risk for substance abuse later. Some studies have found less alcohol and drug abuse in persons with ADHD who had taken stimulant medicines than in those who didn't receive medicine.

Nonstimulant medicines

If stimulant medicines have bothersome side effects or aren't effective, your doctor might recommend a nonstimulant medicine such as Strattera, Clonidine or Intuiv. These medicines may be used alone or in combination with stimulant medicines.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions, I am here for you. And please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it. I wish you all the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

If you are finished chatting with me I would like to ask that you please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it. I wish you the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC