Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My son has what we have been told is paranoid schizophrenia…

Customer Question
My son has what...

My son has what we have been told is paranoid schizophrenia he has been having a hard time the last few days and says he feels like he is losing touch with reality. He is not in a psychic episode but I fear it may worsen if we let it go any longer, can an emergency room help him with any medication until we can get him a new doctor he was receiving help through state program but was having issues with them finding the right mess for him, he does not want to be locked in a room at the hospital like they did to him before he won't go if they do. I believe he really just needs something to help him until we can get him in to a new doctor. Any suggestions

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

He has seen a doctor but the mess they had him on he didn't like said they made him feel like a zombie so he stopped taking them and they were really nasty about trying new ones for him

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Not right off hand

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Lack of sleep seems to worsen them, he says hears voices sometimes, health is okay he is 24 yes old

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am sorry to learn about your son's condition and I empathize with him.
You see it is important for your son to get immediate medical attention since he is on the verge of developing full blown psychosis if he is not provided prompt medical intervention. So taking him to the Emergency Room citing lack of sleep as a presenting symptom with underlying past history of Paranoid Schizophrenia. You should present his case like this to the Emergency Room so that the doctors do not get over enthusiastic in diagnosing him in a state of full blown psychosis and do not quarantine him.
I hope this solves your problem.
Please do not delay in seeking help for him as that is the most plausible step forward.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The medications he was on before were serquil, risprridol, and haliperidol , halidol which didn't work for him any suggestions on something that may work for him. He also suffers panic attacks when feelings of paranoia start.
I feel he shall be tried on zyprexa ( olanzapine) since this Anti psychotic medication has never been tried before and it has high potency against psychosis and paranoia. If this drug cannot be tried and you would like to try something from the drugs available with you then I would suggest Risperdal shall be tried and its dose nerds to be slowly raised to as much as 4 mg per day , preferably given in 2 divided doses , that us morning and evening. Other than thus in order to aid his sleep which us essential to prevent the psychotic episode from breaking out, you can ask doctor to use either ambien cr (zolpidem ) at dose of 6.25-12.5mg at bedtime or phenergan ( promethazine HCl) at dose of 25 mg at bedtime.
I hope this helps.
Regards
May I please request you to kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer so that I can be credited for my service.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist