llw26
llw26, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCPC-2015. Clinical Forensic Psychology
66686948

I was diagnosed with ADHD in my 30's. I'miss now 60. I have

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with ADHD in my 30's. I'miss now 60. I have a new psychiatrist (who takes my insurance) who won't prescribe adderall, or any other ADHD medication until I go to another clinic for testing. Again! I also take Effexor, and she is weaning me off of Lamictal. In addition, she has added Prozac. That was all in the first visit. Does this sound a little strange to you? My depression is major, and basically, unless forced, I'm in bed all day (and night). Yesterday, I lost yet another debit card, and 2 lighters (yep, I smoke).
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  llw26 replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I hope I can help!
Expert:  llw26 replied 11 months ago.
It sounds like she may be trying a new set of meds to see what will work best for you. Did you tell her you were uncomfortable with the switches? If so, how did she respond? Also, were you able to provide her with documentation of having an ADHD diagnosis? There are instances when people are misdiagnosed and so the psychiatrist wants testing and official documentation prior to prescribing a stimulant medication (as these are often abused).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am open SSDI for ADHD and depression, and was just retested in March. I'm a little uncomfortable with the med switch. because already I have zero energy. I'm afraid without the Adderall, I'll be roadkill! joking. Any thoughts?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anyway Lindsey, I appreciate your perspective on this. I'll hang in there and hopefully this will be the answer to the help I've been needing!
Sincerely,
Priscilla
Expert:  llw26 replied 11 months ago.

Hi Priscilla - I would mention your fears to your psychiatrist, as they should take this into account and express WHY they're making the changes and WHY they're having you retested (depending on what we mean by testing here, if you're given certain assessment measures, those can only be administered once a year... so I'm not sure why the psychiatrist would want you retested, unless it's a different method than what you had in March). You are the director of your health care, if you are uncomfortable with something I urge you to speak with your provider.

I don't think you'll be "roadkill" - you may notice some lethargy; however, that should subside as you continue to take the medication, if it doesn't - inform your provider. Also, try to do things to help yourself in the AM when you first wake up - don't allow yourself to remain in bed, get up - start your day - this is easier said than done; yet, will be of most benefit to you. Sometimes it helps having a saying next to your bed that helps motivate you, then one in the bathroom to keep you going. It's hard AND I know you can do it!!!

Expert:  llw26 replied 11 months ago.

Was there anything else I can help you with? If not, please provide a rating as to how you believe my service was. Thank you and best of luck!