Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I've been having serious guilt over something I did in the…

I've been having serious guilt...
I've been having serious guilt over something I did in the past. It all triggered when I saw a kid that used to live on my street. I'm 18 now. At the time of incident I was about 11/12 and the kid was probably 6/7 and he had been trying to pants me so I decided I would pants him back. But idk if it was just curiousity at the time but I remember wondering if he had a bigger penis at the time, so I decided when I pants him if grab his underwear at same time and just make it look like I had pants him he wouldn't think of anything bad going on. He didn't care he was just laughing and I thought nothing of it at the time. I just glanced real quickly and did nothing else. But ever since I ran into him recently I can't stop thinking about what I did. I just feel an enormous amount of guilt over it, is this normal? Just looking for some help I've felt like crap for whole week
11/17/2016
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you

Hello and thank you for reaching out with your concerns. It sounds like your guilt is based on believing that you did something shameful or wrong, but I want to assure you that your curiosity about his penis was absolutely developmentally normal. You did nothing wrong or harmful to him or you.

It is normal and natural when you are young as you are learning to have curiosity about all types of aspects of sexuality, body parts, etc.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks a lot for the helpful incite. Just with my OCD I think the worse of everything. Like I'm 18 now and haven't done anything like that since but I keep questioning myself on whether I'd do that again in similar circumstances with my age being 18 now, and I know I wouldn't, but my ocd gives me fear that I would and I just know I wouldn't. It's been very frustrating to deal with lately and mentally draining. I have Doctor appt tmmr and probably will be prescribed Prozac which I know will help but I really just want to feel good naturally again. I haven't loss hope but I know I wouldn't be able to take this on forever.

It is good to share it in a safe place like here. The medication will help to get you back on track. you do not have to have medication forever, especially if you can learn some strategies and techniques to manage your OCD. There is an excellent workbook you can purchase and work on at home that will teach you some really useful things. Acceptance of your thoughts instead of fighting them is very helpful in their losing their power. You were a kid, just a kid, playing around. You would not do that today. You know that is inappropriate and unnecessary. The fears do not control you. I will give you the name of the workbook in the next thread.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks a lot for all the very needed help. Means a lot to have people like you

You are welcome! I am glad to help. It is called The OCD Workbook by Hyman and Cherry. You can order it online. I wish you all the best. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would really appreciate it. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC