John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...
68372260

Its two fold i will begin with my two year old daughter..

Customer Question

Its two fold i will begin with my two year old daughter.. She is 2 and she has literally been biting people since she has gotten teeth
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: the past time yesterday our neighbors son a few months younger was in our yard. she saw him and ran to him like she was going to play or hug him. not soo. she walked up leaned down and bit his arm..which is bruised every child she meets she bites. including older siblings i havent seen any swelling but at your suggestion i will make an dentist appointment this will be her first visit
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I was diagnosed last year with bipolar disorder type 2
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was diagnosed with bipolar which took a long time for me to accept. I work full time my husband and I have three children and i recently started back school. I cant focus. even as a child and teen i would always leave class on fake bathroom breaks or ask to see the nurse. in college i would stay for maybe thitry mins or so then i would only go on test days. i have been to school many times but never finished. im determined this time to do so. im smart but i cant focus. i told my doctor (whom i have been seeing for a few months) about my problem and when i left i felt like a drug addict. He stated in so many words that he doesnt prescribe his bipolar patients with stimulants. is this true? i felt horrible after i left because to me i went because im having problems and i felt like nothing was done but a suggestion that maybe i take something off my plate or look on the bright side that things will be better in the long run. i take seroquel xr 300 mg. right now i have a weeks worth of assignments, papers, and test to take by 11:55 tonight. i called my parents to keep my kids until tomorrow which they did happily and I have literally done nothing i keep starting and getting up to smoke a cig or use the bathroom or clear my head etc. What should i do?
Expert:  John-Michaels replied 11 months ago.
Hey sounds like you're more pressing problem is the lack of focus. I do experiences through elementary and high school and even into college. I'm now 52 years old, have a Masters degree, and consider myself fairly successful at what I do. I would love to talk to you about this. Maybe a phone call would be better though .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no thank you on the phone call. what can i do about this lack of focus because its wrecking havoc
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
about the biting of my two year old

I apologize for the delay. I was away form my computer.

As for the focus, hang in there. There is hope! It doesn't appear you are a pill seeker. You just need help focusing. I think maybe you need a second opinion, maybe from a psychiatrist.

I have learned to adapt. I schedule distractions. Maybe doodle during class or do my grocery list or budget while listening to the lecture. I also tried to never take a class where the instructor did not follow a book so I could catch what I Missed.

At home I would do maybe two[assignments at a time. or maybe clean house while studying. Just make sure it is balanced with study and conducive.

As soon as you can though see a doctor about sine meds. In the mean time maybe drink plenty of caffeine. Also eat sours. They stimulate your thoughts.

As for the biting, firstly, see a pediatric dentist and out if there is a dental reason as suggested above. Secondly try these steps

1) Communicate that it is wrong in a clear manner in which a 2 year old can understand. Let the child know it is wrong repeatedly.

2) Any time she bites or attempts to put her in time out for 2-3 minutes and make sure she knows why.

3) Be consistent. Do not relent. In time she will learn

Does that make sense. If not let me know. I want to help.