Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I was wondering if it's possible for to induce psychosis…

Hello. I was wondering if...
Hello. I was wondering if it's possible for weed to induce psychosis like symptoms that only last the duration of being high. I recently smoked weed with a friend, which I have very little experience in, and we smoked a lot of it. The rest of the night and next day (we smoked in the morning too) was full of random emotional bursts, thoughts/obession over what it would be like to kill people and me trying to calm myself down enough to choke myself amongst other borderline insane thoughts that aren't normal for me. Is that a normal reaction? Will I be fine if I just don't smoke again (I feel mostly normal now)! I'm sort of freaking out. Thanks!!
10/24/2016
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi Joshua, thank you for writing to us. Paranoia and anxiety are very common side effects of marijuana and it sounds like these struck you intensely. I can assure you that the you will be fine as the marijuana exits your system. If you do smoke again, this paranoia will likely return so you probably just want to avoid it in the future.

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Paranoia doesn't feel like it accurately describe what I was feeling. I guess I should describe in more detail. I got really hostile and one point in the night and was calling my friend really mean things and cussing up a storm (I don't curse very often in real life). At another point in the night, all I could think about was what it would feel like to be the person responsible for making someone's soul leave their body i.e. Killing them, how that would feel and how I wanted to experience it. At another point I felt so weird and groggy and, despite knowing that I most likely wasn't going to do anything, grabbed a knife and stood outside of a bathroom where my friend was taking a shower before realizing how insane it was and put the knife back. The whole night seemed like me having crazy thoughts and wants and then me snapping back into reality and realizing how psychotic the thought I had just had was. I know part of what I get could be attributed to paranoia (at one point my voice in me head kept telling me that everyone was staring at me) but paranoia just doesn't seem to cover all of the violent and seemingly psychotic thoughts and such. Are there any other possible cannabis side effects that may have caused that sort of experience?

Thank you for that detail. So yes, although more rare, sometimes use of marijuana can lead to hallucinations or delusions. Yours clearly were very extreme and scary and again, another good reason for you to keep away from that drug. Is this the only time you have felt this way, or has it ever happened when you weren't under the influence of a drug?

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok, thank God. Yes, this was the only time I've ever felt that way or really ever had thoughts like that beyond the typical fleeting morbid curiosity, so it really scared me the next day. I've been searching the internet feverishly to see if smoking weed could cause something like that. I'm definitely staying away from it.

No worries. Put it behind you but don't forget that it isn't a good choice of recreational activities for you. You'll be okay - no long-term or short-term consequences so all is good now :)

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll definitely try to do that. Thanks again!! Also, one last thing, would the delusions side effect explain the random sort of "blood lust-y" thoughts? The whole feeling like I wanted to kill someone? I think that's the part that scared me the most, especially cause I picked up a knife in that state. I just want make sure that the weeds explains it all away...for my peace of mind.

Because the experience and "blood lust" was specifically correlated to the drug and is no longer present and had never been before, then the drug is very very likely the only explanation. That is why I asked if it had ever occurred before and since it hasn't and the feeling has dissipated, the marijuana seems to be the culprit. I will add in here that because you had this extreme of a reaction, it is highly possible that the marijuana was laced with something additional, such as PCP.

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok that makes sense and makes me feel a lot better. If the marijuana did in fact have something else in it, would it be possible for it to only effect me? I ask because my friend was also smoking but seemed more than fine. Although, he has smoked marijuana a lot in the past.

I think it makes less sense it as laced if your friend didn't also feel highly effected but long-time users of marijuana just do not tend to have extreme reactions to it due to tolerance (and learned experience). It is most common in first time/early users or if the drug is impure.

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok. Got it. Thanks so much for answering all of my questions!! It really helped clarify and put an idea to all that happened!

You are very welcome. Have a good night and thank you for the rating :)

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker