Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I Have Borderline Personality Disorder And Anxiety Attacks

I live with borderline personality...
I live with borderline personality disorder and since I lost my job I started to have quite bad anxiety attacks and I wake up at night from nightmares and shake and cry. The level of anxiety is so high it causes me physical problems like throwing up or breathing.
It got worse since July when I lost my job. I am looking for a new job every day and send so many cv's but I am not lucky. It is something that makes me feel so worthless and useless. I don't know how much longer I can take this. I take xanax every day now because otherwise I wouldn't be able to leave the house and go to interviews or do anything. I am sure it would be better if I had someone to hug me and calm me down but I don't.
Borderline personality was diagnosed in 2013 after overdosing with alprazolam and diazepam in an attempt to stop the horrible feelings. Now I take venlafaxin 150 daily, xanax when I need, hypnogen 1pill/night. Also had some migraines in last few months when I was taken to the hospital for IV.
10/20/2016
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.
I am so sorry you are struggling with your anxiety symptoms. They truly sound intense and no doubt, have increased since the loss of your job--which, I imagine has created a domino affect of financial issues, a lack of daily structure, self-esteem issues and depression.
I'm glad to hear you are taking medication and I would also recommend setting up a daily schedule for yourself that includes creating healthy and affordable meals, job seeking, exercise and perhaps reaching out to a friend as well as going to bed and waking up at regular times.
There are a few other things you can do to manage your anxiety effectively.....some of them include the following:
1.psychotherapy to learn some coping skills
2.psychiatry (medication for anxiety)
3.exercise (to raise serotonin levels in the brain)
4.yoga/meditation (to overall ease anxiety)
I would also recommend the following coping techniques:
  • Take a time-out. Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.
  • Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Do keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand.
  • Limit alcohol and caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
  • Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs additional sleep and rest.
  • Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health. Check out the fitness tips below.
  • Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly.
  • Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.
  • Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn't possible, be proud of however close you get.
  • Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?
  • Welcome humor. A good laugh goes a long way.
  • Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
  • Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.
  • Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school, or something else you can identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed or anxious, and look for a pattern.

Again, I am so sorry to hear about your situation, sweet soul. I hope you are able to find work quickly as I imagine your anxiety will lessen with employment.
Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service.
Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
Warm regards

Therapist Leslie