Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I think I am depressed. I feel so detached from everyone, my

Customer Question
family my friends.. I always...
I think I am depressed. I feel so detached from everyone, my family my friends.. I always feel a weight on my head, like theres a voice in my head constantly judging me and putting me down. I don't even feel like i''m myself with the pple i love anymore. I have nthg to say to them, i feel alone. I also have a lot of social anxiety. I don't know what to do. I try to stop thinking and just live in the moment but even that doesnt always work. I went through a phase of binge eating where i would eat just to feel better, but then i started gaining weight and that just lowered my self confidence and made it worse. I smoke weed and sometimes it makes me happier but a lot of times it just makes me more dull and depressed. I just moved to the states to go to college, and i want to make friends and have fun but everytime i go out with pple im just anxious to get back home. I don't know whats wrong with me and I really want to be happy, i'm sick of feeling this way. I also feel like my life has no purpose, no meaning. What is wrong with me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
10/18/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am sorry to learn about your condition that you are struggling with and i empathize with you as it must be really tough on you to cope with day to day life situations. Well, from your symptoms that you have mentioned it does seem like you are suffering from Depression as there are typical features such as social withdrawal, low mood, low self esteem, feeling of inadequacy or inferiority, low confidence, etc which are hallmark defining traits of depression. Depression forms a vicious cycle where in the more one tries to come out of it the more one gets entangled within the clutches of this condition.
I am sure that you must have tried plenty of tactics to distract yourself from Depression but to no avail.
So, I feel that you need to consult a Psychiatrist and get started on an anti depressant drug such as lexapro or Zoloft and alongside this also seek CBT therapy which is a type of specialized therapy that helps the person to learn coping skills to counter stress and depression.
The results of the drug therapy with anti depressant and CBT therapy will take a few weeks to show but it will be for your own good as you will eventually be out from the clutches of depression.
On a personal level you may start doing meditation and yoga so as to get some sort of tranquility and despite from Depression while you wait for the appropriate treatment to start.
I hope this helps you to get moving into the right direction.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist