Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My daughter's psychiatrist and therapist don't agree on the

Customer Question

My daughter's psychiatrist and therapist don't agree on the diagnosis, and both are willing to step aside on the case. How do I get the specialists on the one page.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Haven't seen the doctor just yet, taking fluoxetine and seroquel
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: no
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 9 months ago.
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe I can help you with your problem.
You see many times it so happens that professionals do not agree on the diagnosis ,more so this happens in psychological disorders since the diagnosis is mostly based on signs and symptoms and investigations play very little role if any , hence two individuals as professionals may at times interpret the signs and symptoms differently which gives rise to difference of opinion and conflict.
So, your situation is not uncommon and is encountered among many patients who are being treated by two professionals simultaneously. However , when such a situation arises the person needs to be evaluated by a third professional and based on his assessment , the diagnosis which is considered by two professionals should be pursued.
So you get your daughter evaluated by a new clinical psychologist or a Psychiatrist and based on the professional diagnosis you may choose those two professionals who have similar diagnosis.
You may also mention her symptoms without mentioning her diagnosis to me , so that I can too help you in forming a consensus.
I hope this helps.
Regards