How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4645
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 34 year old son seems to be having a breakdown. He is

Customer Question

My 34 year old son seems to be having a breakdown. He is dillutional, mood swings, angry, etc. I've been attempting to get him moved out of his condo for months and it is now in the courts hands. As of Tuesday, the final court date, he will have to be out. I will be flying there on Saturday to, once again, attempt to get him packed and moved. He is very angry with me, and although I am trying to not let it get to is now and I'm losing the strength to deal with this situation. I don't know if I should use "tough love" to try to save his property and ignor his requirement to be subservient to him. The latter would mean losing a lot of very expensive and/or one of a kind, priceless items. He needs medicine! He has anxiety attacks, spends days in bed depressed, suddenly starts buying rediculous items...with money he has stollen from me, so to speak. He becomes hysterical if I inquire how I can help with his plan (which he won't share with me). In 6mos time, you cannot tell that he has packed anything). I am flying there this Saturday; however, I have a chronic illness that is declining. He basically tells me I'm faking. I am all he has emotionally and financially. He takes both for granted and displays bi-polar tendencies in these arenas. I can go on and on. Is it possible to get a phone consult with a doctor sometime tomorrow? Thanks, ***** *****! My son is definitely becoming psychotic and I don't know how to even behave around him. I am beyond stressed and feel close to a breakdown myself! There is so much more! Can you give me some advice you on handling the next week? I am not mad at him, I can see his pain but I have to figure out how to approach this situation. HELP...Please, please help!!!!
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to the site.
I am sorry to learn about your son's situation and I empathize with you.
Well, from what you have described about your son's symptoms it seems like he is suffering from Bipolar Disorder with paranoia and he grossly lacks insight into his own illness, meaning that he is unaware of his illness and it's repercussions on his life and future. So in this case, where your son is on a self destructive mode and is beyond reason and logic, you will have to act swiftly and get him involuntary committed in an indoor Psychiatry facility for supervised treatment and rehabilitation. So if this calls for showing tough love then be it, do not hold back yourself in getting him right treatment even when he tries whole heartedly to oppose you and detest you, he will thank you later once he comes back into his senses and his sanity of reinstored. But at the moment I strongly feel and recommend that you get him forcibly admitted into a Psychiatry facility for supervised management because delay in this case may lead to devastating effdcts.
So be strong, go to his place tomorrow .get him sectioned using your power for being his guardian in this case scenario where he has lost his insight and is miserably worsening in health.
I hope this help.
Wish your son and you all the best and speedy recovery.
I shall keep him in my prayers.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.