Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

My grandson is schizophrenic and is in a locked down

Customer Question

My grandson is schizophrenic and is in a locked down facility. I bought him a ipod and he wants me to download some Rap albums. I have listened to some of the songs and they are pretty bad. Since he will be listening to this music over and over is it bad to download it for him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello, your question is a very good one and your grandson is fortunate to have such a caring, sensitive grandparent. Also very astute. Yes, your concern is valid, since a person with psychotic vulnerabilities can easily be triggered by negative cues in the environment. However, in my own work with families when this question has come up I have recommended that that he edited version of the rap artist be purchased or downloaded. Obviously the content still implies violence, sexual aggression, etc. but the rough language, etc., is edited out. This will help a great deal and also allow you to access what he enjoys listening to. I would also check with the facility since they may have some guidelines and/or rules about what he can access while he is in treatment. some facilities do not allow what is called "explicit" content while the person is in their care for exactly the reasons you are concerned. I hope this helps you in your decision making. Please feel free to ask me any any further questions that i can help you with. I wish you and your grandson all the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

**Please take a moment to rate my service to you as this is the only way we are compensated for our time, thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it. Linda

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
How do you find the edit version of this music
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Since he is in a lock down facility and this is his only enjoyment , do you feel it is bad for him?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He has been listening to it for years

yes,I am glad to answer these questions. 1). the edited version for some albums and songs, is available on itunes when you download them for the ipod. 2). No, ultimately I think that the music in itself is not going to really harm him. Like you are saying he does need something that will make him happy and that feels familiar and yes, he is on lock down so being supervised at all times. Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

I hope that my service to you has helped you to feel more confident in providing the music to your grandson. He is fortunate to have you in his life, caring about him. I have worked with many young men like him who did not have a loving family member trying to make his journey better. I wish you and especially him all the best. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it. Thank you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC